More pics from up in the sticks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
I was looking through old files and came across some pics of my fall freight runs.
These are the final supply runs I make before going up to my homestead for the winter. I usually do two of them. Just enough to keep me going for three months or so, until freeze up turns into winter and I can start travelling again....
Once the river freezes I resume hauling freight and supplies...

This first pic if of a load waiting to be loaded on one of Rhett's boats... This load is heavy on gas and oil, but contains a bit of everything...

4jf2VyIl.jpg

Here I have a load put together. Propane and gas on the front. A pack and misc gear on the rear rack. Partially hidden behind is my small freight trailer. I have to make multiple small loads on my ATV, to the top of the big hill, as my machine is to small to haul a loaded trailer up the hills... This is about a mile or so off the river. and is fairly flat, but with swamps that I have to go around..

esK5Panl.jpg

Here is a heavier load.. I do not recommend this with such a small machine. While the trailer weight is no big issue I did overload my ATV. Something I try to NOT do.. But.... I was tired and had hauled enough loads that I just wanted it done!! And it was only a few miles.. Trust me... In the years that this photo was taken, I have really started babying my ATV's...
It really sucks breaking stuff out there....

ImIqhCLl.jpg

hittman

Staff member
Not only overloaded but a whopping 300! :D

You're sorely in need of a Can Am 1000.

My first ATV way back when (in the 70's) was a Honda 70cc 3-wheeler!

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
I probably use about 150 gallons over the course of a winter. It does vary, depending on how much hauling I am doing. I will be making a few more trips with the ATV's this fall, as I didn't get stocked up as much as I wanted last fall, and my reserves are down in the beans and rice category...
This year I will also be hauling up more lumber...

I like my little 300's..... The Honda fourtrax is the little engine that could. They get really good gas mileage, and are easy to work on. With only minimal electronics I can do most anything with them. It really sucks when things do break down, and it needs to be put on a computer to diagnose.
I will stick with my "old school"... ;)
Heck... my only neighbor is still running his Big Red... You would be amazed at what he can haul with his... without a trailer!! You buy every "parts" machine you can find..... and store up your own inventory...

Here is a pic I may have posted before. I built outriggers that attach to my racks. It lets me haul 2x4's etc, without using a trailer.. It works pretty slick and removes with wingnuts...

QkXoDSyl.jpg

I have seen many of your pictures and enjoy them. But my question is do you take any pictures of having fun or are you to busy working trying to stay alive?. You know like fishing and catching Big fish dead animals that you have hunted stuff like that. :wink: Your pictures and your stories always include WORK :D

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
Pretty much everything is work.....
I rarely get out to go fishing. It seems there is never time to take off... However I am planning on quitting the local rat race next spring. Hopefully I can manage a self employed situation by then...

Freeze up, winter is pretty busy as well.... Between cutting and hauling fire wood, drinking water, and getting the trapline up an running, I don't have much rec time... And when I do, I am pretty tuckered out....

Fall firewood gathering
qdpw8tjl.jpg

Hauling cabin logs
SCUjAvVl.jpg

snowshoeing a winter trail before running it with the snowmobile... It is easier on the machines in early .... There is no base at first .. This particular part I walked was about 4 miles down to the river...
hjXmVy0l.jpg

Oh wait!! I do, do fun things..... Like canning berries and food... ;)
https://youtu.be/jDvhNc6N03U

My one and only silver from last year..... :(
pK3h7kpl.jpg

reuben_j_cogburn said:
I probably use about 150 gallons over the course of a winter. It does vary, depending on how much hauling I am doing. I will be making a few more trips with the ATV's this fall, as I didn't get stocked up as much as I wanted last fall, and my reserves are down in the beans and rice category...
This year I will also be hauling up more lumber...

I like my little 300's..... The Honda fourtrax is the little engine that could. They get really good gas mileage, and are easy to work on. With only minimal electronics I can do most anything with them. It really sucks when things do break down, and it needs to be put on a computer to diagnose.
I will stick with my "old school"... ;)
Heck... my only neighbor is still running his Big Red... You would be amazed at what he can haul with his... without a trailer!! You buy every "parts" machine you can find..... and store up your own inventory...

Here is a pic I may have posted before. I built outriggers that attach to my racks. It lets me haul 2x4's etc, without using a trailer.. It works pretty slick and removes with wingnuts...

QkXoDSyl.jpg

Are you adding on to your cabin or was that when you were building it?