czFT0eNh.jpg

Sheep horn.
hFjyhqZh.jpg

xPARw4Ph.jpg

xk9S4bah.jpg

English Walnut.

jb2RPIbh.jpg

rAVPsafh.jpg

Beautiful examples. My favorite is the first set of 1911's in English.

Ever had an issue with walnut burl moving? Over the years, I've had to trash all 3 sets I made because they warped. One set was flat for 3+ years before it started moving. I suppose I could try stabilizing it first, but I'm too disgusted with it to try.

OTOH, I've made several from mesquite burl and I love everything about it; workability, stability, absence of voids, finishing.

pete44ru

Hunter

I've made some beautiful Ruger XR3-RED grips, cut from a very attractive block of Claro Walnut burl, that cracked/checked open well after I finished them.

Since I didn't apply any of the oil finish to the inner faces, I've wondered if that was my pitfall - or if it was just Mother Nature fighting back.

LSCG

Buckeye
Scout943 said:
Very nice .

thanks!

TucsonDirt said:
Beautiful!

Love the Bisley single-six too!

thank you!

mike campbell said:
Beautiful examples. My favorite is the first set of 1911's in English.

Ever had an issue with walnut burl moving? Over the years, I've had to trash all 3 sets I made because they warped. One set was flat for 3+ years before it started moving. I suppose I could try stabilizing it first, but I'm too disgusted with it to try.

OTOH, I've made several from mesquite burl and I love everything about it; workability, stability, absence of voids, finishing.

thank you!

I have had walnut burl move before but it wasn't much and most likely was caused by the heat generated by my belt sander.

WendyZXZ said:
Those are quite nice!

thanks Wendy!

pete44ru said:

I've made some beautiful Ruger XR3-RED grips, cut from a very attractive block of Claro Walnut burl, that cracked/checked open well after I finished them.

Since I didn't apply any of the oil finish to the inner faces, I've wondered if that was my pitfall - or if it was just Mother Nature fighting back.

even though a block of wood might be several years old and dry I've found that it's best to let the scales cut from a large block of wood acclimate for a month or two before working with them. this gives the wood that until then had never see the light of day a chance to warp, check, shrink or whatever else it wants to do before you put in all the hard work of making them into grips. completely coating the grips in your desired finish is always a good idea.

ifithitu said:
Sweet I like them all.

thank you!

street said:
Now that's what grips should look like!!!!! :D

thanks Street!

jussbad said:
Zane
What do the sheephorn grips fit?

Gary, mentioned it in a PM but just in case anyone else is wondering they were fit to a Freedom Arms model 97.

R77PA said:
All very nice but partial to the walnut

thanks!

TJ11

Single-Sixer
Well done.

I would like to see some Turkish Burl inserts for my GP100.