RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mini Appalachia Knife
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:01 pm 
Single-Sixer

A while back, I designed a knife for my brother to use for hunting and general type use and posted some pictures here. I named it the Appalachia Special after the Appalachian mountains. Below is my Mini Appalachia that I just got a few days ago. It is a scaled down pocket version of the knife I designed for my brother. The knives were made by John of JK handmade knives.

This will be my new pocket knife. I traded John a CB holster for it. This one is shown in maple burl.

OAL 5 5/8"
Blade 2 3/4"
Handle 2 7/8"
O1 steel
1/8" thick
Thumb serrations
Brass pins/lanyard hole
Maple burl scales

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:40 pm 
Hunter

Pretty nice looking little knife!

The only way Obama can become a bigger idiot is by gaining weight.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:21 am 
Ruger Guru

As a NC hillbilly, from the Appalachians, I know how a good knife should be. That one needs to be sent here for my testing. I promise to return it as soon as I give it a true hillbilly approval. Usually no longer than 10-20 years! :D
Nice knife!

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:33 am 
Hawkeye

I have a knife very similar made by a fellow named Billy Watson. I use it as a patch knife when shooting muzzleloaders. I've had it for about 18 years now (bought it year my son was born) and it has proven to be a very useful tool.

Yours is a fine looking blade that should find many uses.

Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:34 am 
Hunter

That's a nice little feller ! :)

To ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth. This was the ancient law of youth.
Old times are past, old days are done: But the law runs true, O little son!

NRA Life Member since 1976
U.S. Army Veteran
RMEF Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:48 pm 
Blackhawk

That's real nice, I like it !!! :D :D

Matthew 16:27
For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:40 am 
Hunter

I have one slight issue with it. Blade length is chosen per intended usage. A personal thing. But as the blade length shortens, my hands don't get narrower. The same problem with spinning reels and mounting stems. The stem should stay whatever length is needed to keep the bail from whacking my hands, not be down-sized with the rest of the reel. I'm thinking(it only hurts a little)the handle could use a length closer to what its big brother has. Bottom line is, it only has to make you happy. Just trying to give an honest opinion. stevemb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:51 pm 
Single-Sixer

I appreciate the comments.

stevemb wrote:
I have one slight issue with it. Blade length is chosen per intended usage. A personal thing. But as the blade length shortens, my hands don't get narrower. The same problem with spinning reels and mounting stems. The stem should stay whatever length is needed to keep the bail from whacking my hands, not be down-sized with the rest of the reel. I'm thinking(it only hurts a little)the handle could use a length closer to what its big brother has. Bottom line is, it only has to make you happy. Just trying to give an honest opinion. stevemb

stevemb,

While a longer handle would give a little more control, it would also add to the length some as well making the knife less compact. I designed this knife to have a comfortable three finger grip which it has. It was made to be compact so that it would easily fit in a pocket while still having enough blade and handle to be useful. There are a lot of knives out there (folders and fixed blades) that have less than a full length handle but are still useful. For a pocket knife to always have with me, I don't mind giving up a little length. No different than carrying a folding knife but with a small fixed blade I gain some strenth and personally tend to trust it more. If I plan on performing tasks that require a larger knife with longer blade or handle, I have others that I would choose but for a pocket knife this one does a fine job for me.

People are different and have different needs. There are a lot of knives out there in different sizes and styles. John will make a knife pretty much any way you want it.