Texas Long Horns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

These are from a few years ago. My wife's boss has a ranch with some cattle on it. They used to have BBQ's and we'd go, but that hasn't happend for a few years, times change I suppose. They are friendly it seems, although I wouldn't want to make one mad (the Long Horns, not the bosses family.)

First the BBQ...
dyHgLhhl.jpg

The Long Horns aren't the easiest to take pictures of.
9IPLgsUl.jpg

HbMxuBxl.jpg

F3sGgZal.jpg

DxtoXwBl.jpg

0EMWsjUl.jpg

Those are great. My Mother In Law admitted she was afraid of cows and funny thing is she was a country gal, born and raised on the farm and guess what one of her chores was? Yep, milking the cows.

Yea they look great, but they are nothing more than "Front Pasture Show Cattle." Bad meat, bad attitude, bad at the auction barn and so on. Modern cattle are dehorned or shorter horns for a reason.

Butttttttttttttttttt they do look cool :D :D

tinman

Buckeye
Bad meat? I love me some longhorn burgers.............Meers up in Oklahoma is one of my favorites. 8)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g51510-d514686-Reviews-The_Meers_Store_And_Restaurant-Meers_Oklahoma.html

As to the bad attitude.....one of my sisters raises them. She hand feeds most of them because they each think they are the favorite pet.

tinman said:
Bad meat? I love me some longhorn burgers.............Meers up in Oklahoma is one of my favorites. 8)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g51510-d514686-Reviews-The_Meers_Store_And_Restaurant-Meers_Oklahoma.html

As to the bad attitude.....one of my sisters raises them. She hand feeds most of them because they each think they are the favorite pet.

Range cattle probably don't make to good of pets.

Must be a reason Markets sell more Angus than Longhorn :D
Yes there is a market for it if you want a leaner meat. Myself I don't think I will be buying any for a PRIME Ribeye :wink:

https://www.agriculture.com/content/a-couples-venture-into-raising-longhorns
The meat from a longhorn is similar to meat from a deer or an elk, says Bill. It is low in fat and cholesterol. "The longhorn is America's original grass-fed beef," he says.

Longhorns get little respect from traditional beef cattle markets, Sandy says, even though calves gain 2 pounds per day. "We were selling a few animals and getting canner and cutter prices, and then we were discounted from that rate for ears, horns, colors, and spots," she says.

If I remember right, the boss bought these Longhorns for his wife on her birthday.

He's a pretty cool guy, last time I saw him a year ago or so, he had just bought a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoore.

I had no idea you could....or would even want to eat one of them.

32shooter

Blackhawk
I would like to have a set of those horns to hang in my family room. Then maybe the Wife would forget about my European deer mounts that are hanging in there, she wants them moved to the garage. :lol: :lol:

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I like to read about the cattle drives from Texas. Sedalia, MO was one of the first railheads to take cattle east. John Wesley Hardin went on a few drives. Can you imagine sitting around a campfire,,,

tinman

Buckeye
Don Lovel said:
Longhorn steers pastured on orchard grass and timothy, grain fed for 8 weeks, butcher them at about 1000lbs, damn good Tbones and ribeyes

...........this..........

tinman

Buckeye
As to them being ornery. I have no doubt that can be true........but I suspect it has much to do with how they are raised. Way back when they roamed the ranges........you know, "where the deer and the antelope play"......the Indians would go after the buffalo before they tangled with one of these critters in the wild. Now y'all need to understand something, a buffalo can outrun a horse and in the wild (and sometimes in captivity) they are not known for their sunny disposition. When they get their hackles up, they are just about as tough a critter as you could find. The Indians knew this and still they would chase down buffalo first.....because the wild longhorns were just too freakin mean. :wink: