Ugly Duck

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
I picked this up from Mr.Deerstalker off the classifieds section. I always wanted to try a 41 mag and this unique example fit the bill. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder right! The wear is pretty consistent other than the ejector rod housing. Kinda of odd to me but maybe the original was replaced or this was just more protected than the balance. Nice tight action and the important parts are in great shape. Scott said this was a typical village gun with little use but high wear form the Alaska climate. Regardless, it looks twice as old as it is and to me fits the cool factor.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Good find--Scott seems to have an eye and a good network for coming up with wonderful treasures. With rifles and shotguns, all that wear was described to me long ago as "truck miles" and I often wonder what tales these old guns could tell if they could talk. I don't have any guns like that, but if I did, I'd be torn between having the gun refinished and leaving it completely alone cosmetically.

Rick C

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
I like your Ugly Duck,, :) ,,it is what it is.

I would however removed the EJRH and strip the finish chemically, and put it back on the gun. No sanding or polishing needed.

Terry

BearBio

Buckeye
Looks good in a great caliber. I have several Blackhawks and SBHs, including an OM 6.5" woods gun. Guided on wild hogs while in grad school and carried a 41 OM over a SBH.

Once bought an original 1886, rebarreled to 45-70 here in Washington State. Wondered how many grizzlies, elk, black bears, and moose fell to it. Maybe some Indians? Had a 1943 issued US 1911 with blood pitting, supposedly from Iwo Jima. What stories could it tell? Or my 1901 Bisley Colt in 41 LC from Mexico and bought on the REZ? Taken from a dead Federale? Stolen from a Rancheria?

Some naval jelly should fix the ejector housing (?)

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
It definitely has some character. Yes I will be stripping the ejector so it falls inline with the balance of it. It must have been lost and replaced.

Speaking of stories, if only this old work horse could talk. Looks like it went to the Virginia Militia back in 1875, but from there is anyone's guess. Hard life for sure!

BDM1

Single-Sixer
I like the look of that gun, i would not refinish it. I do agree that a different ejector housing that showed some wear would look even better. Good buy!

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
RSIno1 said:
painted aluminum ejector rod housing?

I believe the OM have a die in the anodizing process that is a bit tougher than the later powder coat. I tried some quick strip I had on hand, did nothing but clean it really well. I'll need to get some naval jelly or something a bit more potent.

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
My SBH is well on it's way to looking like that.... And I have seen plenty of alaska guns that look like they were stored in a barrel of water...

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
Not for sale anytime soon. It also won't be refinished other than the ejector rod housing. Love the fact I can cary this hiking and while it never rains here, it will only add to the character.

It shoots well in my hands anyway. Need to get some dies so I can shoot more than cowboy loads they sell local.

Thanks!

Latest posts