RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Black Snakes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:26 am 
Hawkeye

I do my best to keep it.. We have a 6-7ft one that ate some baby birds a few weeks ago and my wife was quite dismayed ... but the reality is we like having the snake living under our house....

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:28 am 
Hawkeye

blume357 wrote:
I do my best to keep it.. We have a 6-7ft one that ate some baby birds a few weeks ago and my wife was quite dismayed ... but the reality is we like having the snake living under our house....

Oh and that comment about the copperheads might be right... I used to kill one or two a year and usually find that many run over in the road. Have not seen one in at least two years. And believe me we have copperheads in my neighborhood.

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:41 pm 
Blackhawk

Man! What a pair of beauties! Ever black snake I can capture, goes home with me and into the back yard they go. Even green snakes and garter snakes, attitude and all.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:09 am 
Hawkeye

I had an second floor apartment back in the 70’s that had Starlings, and sparrows nesting under the eaves. I worked nights, and they made it difficult to sleep. One day I heard something on the other side of the wall that sounded like someone was rubbing on the other side. I went up into the attic, and here come a big black rat snake. I calmly backed out of there, closed the door, and within a week, no more birds!
gramps

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:05 pm 
Hunter

contender wrote:
"Black snakes have a nasty disposition and bite."

I politely beg to disagree sir. I am a State certified Animal Damage Control Agent,, and I deal with animals daily. And black snakes are not that way. In fact,, I OFTEN just walk up to them, pick them up WITHOUT restraint, supporting their weight, allowing them to move around in my hands, as I move them to a new home.

They can be a bit aggressive when shedding,,, or mating,, but not in general. Younger snakes seem more active & defensive,, but all of them prefer to avoid attacks by any predator. And often, a human is looked at as a predator. But calm actions are often accepted by them. I know folks who have them living in & around their hoses to where they are seen & enjoyed daily. Once they determine you are not a predator,, they are quite nice to have around. And they are excellent rodent control. They also keep poisonous snakes away.
Bull snakes are also a good snake to have around,, but not the only good snake.

Maybe the NC strain are nicer. They're the only snake I've ever been bitten by, and more than once. Caught snakes all the time when I was younger here in KS. We use to take bull snakes into town and spook folks with them. They let us then we took them back and let them go, or took them home and turned them loose around the house or around the farm. Only ever saw a couple bull snakes get growly. Black rat snakes no go. They also get in older septic systems and come in the house via the toilet. Never seen any other snake but a black rat snake do that around here at least. I kill every one I see but I'll leave the ones in NC alone :D