Great Horned Owl

Help Support Ruger Forum:

They are beautiful birds. As I said sometime earlier, I had one that used to come and visit my porch railing when I was an apartment dweller. He would take a hot dog from your hand. They are absolutely silent when on the wing.

WendyZXZ said:
Owls are rarely seen in this area so it is always great to see such a beautiful bird!

Wendy,
That is interesting. We have had Owls around or neighborhood forever mostly Bar Owls. In fact before I put a screen on our chimney two got caught in it and I had to extract them. First time I just opened the damper and reached up and grabbed it by the feet. Not a real good IDEA. Second one I put on my welding gloves then grabbed it. :D We still have several calling to one another at night.
It does get pretty nasty below their roost because they must throw up a lot of food.

BearBio

Buckeye
Don't see many around here although they are around (We have a lot of flying squirrels, also==haven't seen one in the 17 years I've lived here!). That being said, I saw a screech owl last week and a great horned this week (Mon or Tues). OTOH, fewer ospreys but I haven't been down at the water much this year.

Wyandot Jim said:
WendyZXZ said:
Owls are rarely seen in this area so it is always great to see such a beautiful bird!

Wendy,
That is interesting. We have had Owls around or neighborhood forever mostly Bar Owls. In fact before I put a screen on our chimney two got caught in it and I had to extract them. First time I just opened the damper and reached up and grabbed it by the feet. Not a real good IDEA.

Sounds like one of those situations of who is trying to get away from who!

toysoldier

Hunter
Wyandot Jim said:
It does get pretty nasty below their roost because they must throw up a lot of food.

Owls regurgitate the indigestible bones, beaks, fur, etc. You can analyze the diet of an owl by examining these pellets.

coach

Hunter
It's always a treat to spot them. I had a big white one (snowy owl? Or albino) swoop down across my yard as I was taking out the trash one night. Amazingly silent as mentioned. Saw a interesting pbs show about owls recently.