Tundra Swans and Kingfisher

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Here in Kentucky, Tundra Swans are quite the rare site. Here are a couple shots. First is in flight, second is next to a Canada Goose for some size comparison for those who may have never seen a Tundra Swan. Last photo is a Kingfisher. I've captured all these shots in the past few weeks.

Let me say, retirement is highly recommended. :D

_0JS0851_zps8jlpxuxz.jpg

_0JS0749_zps67cuumo0.jpg

_0JS0670_zpsk19vkudv.jpg

Great pix! I recently saw a Kingfisher at a cut-off slough where I KNOW there aren't any fish. And then he caught one, and then another, and....

(They WERE tiny!).

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
BearBio said:
Very good ID. Many people confuse the Trumpeter swan with the Tundra swan.
Thanks. Yellow spot on the beak is one very good clue. Haven't uploaded because the photo was not that great but have seen a couple mute swans this winter also. Juvenile and matures.

BearBio

Buckeye
jeffnles1 said:
BearBio said:
Thanks. Yellow spot on the beak is one very good clue. Haven't uploaded because the photo was not that great but have seen a couple mute swans this winter also. Juvenile and matures.

I usually go by the eye==the black extends past the eye in the trumpeter and stops at the eye in the tundra.

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
BearBio said:
jeffnles1 said:
BearBio said:

I usually go by the eye==the black extends past the eye in the trumpeter and stops at the eye in the tundra.

yep. Mute swans and Tundra's are not unheard of around here (Cincinnati Ohio area) but Trumpeters are exceedingly rare. I have never seen one that I can confirm.

Tomorrow going to a wildlife preserve where Whooping Cranes sometime visit. Hoping to get a glimpse and maybe a photo.

Jeff