A Hawk eating lunch

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bvd1

Single-Sixer
This hawk stopped by yesterday for lunch.

13508919_1146834682003591_288514428772295713_n_zpsokwqzkfh.jpg

caryc said:
He's not exactly eating the best part though, is he?
It depends on how hungry you are! My son states the best meal he has ever had is the one sitting in front of him at the moment. :mrgreen: I would reckon animals are of a similar mind.
gramps

BearBio

Buckeye
gramps said:
caryc said:
He's not exactly eating the best part though, is he?
It depends on how hungry you are! My son states the best meal he has ever had is the one sitting in front of him at the moment. :mrgreen: I would reckon animals are of a similar mind.
gramps

Predators usually eat the soft parts first. Biologically, it's better as they often get the vegetable nutrients and roughage from the stomach contents. Native Americans and Australian Aborigines did the same, even using the stomach as a stew pot.

Last night, as I left work, I noticed some feathers drifting by on the breeze (it was <20 degrees F). Starting scanning the pole lines and, sure enough, there was a raptor eating a bird. I thought maybe a merlin from the size==got my binoculars from my truck and it had the tell-tale mask of a falcon and was definitely a merlin.

coach

Hunter
A couple months ago I saw something white all over the lawn. When I checked it out I realized it was the remains of a buzzard by a leg left behind. Not sure what got him, but I often see a redtail hawks around. The buzzards were feasting on a deer nearby in the road the day before.

coach

Hunter
No coyotes around my neighborhood. I'm guessing a hawk just because I've seen some big ones recently. I forgot to look up in the tree it was under. There might have been some remains still there.