Yard Sale Find - 10/28 Knife Sheath Update DONE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pete44ru

Hunter

I lucked onto this apparently unused hard doublegun case for chump change @ a yard sale yesterday, in Mooseup CT - it looks to be one of Tony Galazan's (Connecticut Shotgun/CSMC) cases, and will fit a SxS with up to 30" bbls.

KAmiwNIl.jpg
yU7c4Yml.jpg

I'm doin' the happy dance.... :mrgreen:

street

Hunter
Chump change is a small amount of money that some chump is only able to earn! Or is worth! :lol:

pete44ru

Hunter
pruger45 said:
Explain "chump change" ?

$20....... :mrgreen:

And, I didn't bother to ask about the shotgun, for 2 reasons:

1) I couldn't afford the shotgun that case was most likely bought for.......... :roll: .

2) The case looked like it never had a gun, or anything else, placed inside except for the case keys.

pete44ru

Hunter

I also found an unfinished bowie knife for $2 - but it's a work in progress...... :mrgreen:

This blade has a very faint Colonial "anvil" stamp just forward of where the guard will go (bracketed by "Prov" & "USA"), and I've been inside the Providence (RI) Colonial factory many decades ago, in the late 1960's, when I was a business machine serviceman.

This blade isn't lightly etched with the "TUF-STAG..(deer head)....ULTRA HONED" - it's deeply stamped.

I've seen the fake stag (ugh ! ) before on Colonial & Imperial knives - one of the reasons I decided to go with black Micarta ILO real stag for grip scales, because of the possibility that future viewers of the finished knife would pooh-pooh the real stag, thinking it was imitation.

Soooo, as soon as I got back home, I ordered a brass cross-guard & a set of black micarta scales, and intended to polish the blade, then fit/finish the knife guard & scales.

I got the crossguard, black Micatra scales, & a pack of rivets that I ordered from the CRAZY CROW TRADING POST for the yard sale bowie knife blade.

Today, I started the rehab by filing/fitting the crossguard to the tang via enlarging the pre-made slot in the guard so it slides onto the tang.

I also started polishing out the blade, and will permanently affix the guard when the polishing is done.

(below: before a slight polishing)

dLyPxeml.jpg

(below: after a slight polishing)

6g5zDyIl.jpg

mP2fDAhl.jpg

When the final polish & guard install is done, I'll start on the scales.

pete44ru

Hunter

I cut out the knife scales this past weekend, then decided that I wanted to try a 2-piece look, with the front portion of the grip separated from the longer/rear portion by a brass spacer.

After inletting the scales for the tang, I attached them in their rough/as-cut condition first, then hacksawed off the extra/protruding portions of the brass spacer.

y6t6ky3l.jpg
LmIaOCal.jpg

Then, I worked the scales down to roughly the shape/feel I wanted, and riveted the scales to the tang with plain brass rivets.

sLwr8o1l.jpg

The next steps I tackled are a clean up of the blade, and the final sanding/polishing/etc of the grip & the brass guard, spacer & rivet heads - then try to start on a leather/rawhide parfleche sheath for it, like these two, below:

knife-sheath-006-300x371.jpg

For the sheath, I first made a paper pattern & cut it out so I would have to cut the leather only once.

wzhVs51l.jpg

JTDBh4dl.jpg

bVh4OmLl.jpg

6mcrodCl.jpg

Then, I used the paper pattern to cut out the leather & trial-fit the bowie into it.

pGpz1MOl.jpg

qIpjH4rl.jpg

Next will come finalizing the sheath's outer & belt slot shapes, then lacing/sewing the sheath edges together, before adding some brass tacking & warpaint ;)

(to be continued.....)

pete44ru

Hunter

I finally caught a break from re-working my home's kitchen cabinets to accept a larger, bottom-freezer refrig I bought, and started to work on my yard sale blade's sheath.

I had bought a Japanese-style 7" Santoku kitchen knife, that happened to have been supplied with a plastic blade guard.

Since the knife didn't need the guard (I have a knife block), I thought that I could use it as a sheath liner, to prevent the blade from eventually working through the leather sheath.

AGWcBiom.jpg

The blade guard was a tad long for my bowie's 6-1/2" blade, so I reworked both the guard's throat and the overall length.

Ai6lYavm.jpg
VXRSf7Zm.jpg

Here's how it will lay, hidden inside the sheath:

(I have already sewed a beadwork Thunderbird device onto what will be the outer face of the sheath)

iMyG5nGm.jpg
v2bOY2nm.jpg

My next step(s) should be sewing a single belt loop to the rear/outside of the sheath, then sewing the sheath together before installing a line of brass rivets just outside the bowie's cutting edge, down the sheath from the throat to the bottom.

After that, I plan on testing my artistic ability by painting a Native American design onto the facer of the sheath - I can only hope that I'll be up to it.

pete44ru

Hunter

A friend stopped by yesterday, while I was working on the sheath, and gave me nice-size hunk of tanned buckskin - soooooo,I decided to make a 2nd sheath from some of it, alongside the sheath I've been working on.

I cut out the buckskin just like I did previously, then laced the edge(s) closed (below, with the 1st sheath and a factory sheath I decorated last year for a Cherokee Bowie I have)

rUgNbEdl.jpg

I drew up both sheath's outlines on a piece of paper, then made several copies of each, so I could (color) pencil in a few different designs, to make mockup's, to see how it might turn out.

This is what I came up with for the 1st sheath:

ah0svIEl.jpg

This is what I came up with for the buckskin sheath:

IZr742Nl.jpg

Whaddya think ? Suggestions ? ?

pete44ru

Hunter

I got busy & finished one of the sheaths today - the buckskin sheath.

I first drew an outline of the decorative pattern I wanted onto the leather.

Se1wy09l.jpg

I then applied some of the colors, and let it dry overnite.

KWjX2Vul.jpg

After that, I decided that an orange/amber color looked better to me than the blue I had planned on.

TAm9VP9l.jpg

The last thing I did was to clean up the black lines that separated the colors.

S27Cnfel.jpg

3txMV2Tl.jpg

Now, back to finishing the other/original sheath.......... :roll:

pete44ru

Hunter

Well........ Just about done - I finished lacing the 1st (AND last) sheath today, with suede leather lacing.

Z6nRrhel.jpg

Here's all 4 of my bowie knives, with their respective sheaths:

(L to R: re-handled Cherokee Bowie w/re-worked sheath, re-handled Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie w/CS sheath, re-handled Colonial Bowie w/new sheath, and an unknown pig-sticker w/new sheath)

tzRilNzl.jpg

ST1S1zwl.jpg