Outdoor Photography Shots

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
I haven't put any of my general outdoor photos up for quite a while. These are a couple I took this summer that I liked.
DSC_4073_zpssbpg0rcx.jpg

DSC_3996_zpsxnyfd1j6.jpg

IMG_3376_zpsi4mxj6ly.jpg

hope you all enjoy

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Thanks for the kind words!
Shoots - love the full moon shot. Was that with your 200-500 Nikor lens?

street

Hunter
Stoots said:
jeffnles1 said:
Thanks for the kind words!
Shoots - love the full moon shot. Was that with your 200-500 Nikor lens?

Yes indeed! And it was a nice, cold and clear night so that helped. :D

That lens is one of the best buys that Nikon has ever had. As your picture of the full moon shows the optics are great, and the price for a Nikon lens is dirt cheap. I don't know how they sell it for that price, but I'm glad they do. Nikon sell a 200mm to 400mm/f4 which is one stop faster for around $7000. While this lens is in the $1200 to $1400 range. WHAT A GREAT BUY, FOR A GREAT LENS!

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
That Nikon is indeed a fine lens.

The ones i posted were all with the Sigma 150-600 lens. It's a big piece of glass. I've been very happy with the results. Right now, I have everything from 11mm up to 600mm covered.
11-20mm Tamron APO F2.8 (superb wide angle)
18-140mm Nikon
100-300 F5.6 Nikon
150-600 Sigma
85mm Nikon Micro (macro)
Body is a D5100. Want to go to the new Nikon D500 but at $3,000 for the body it's going to have to wait a while.

Jeff

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
Are you running any extension tubes between your body and lens ever??
I was big into photography back in the film days.. unfortunately, the mfg's just don't build their digital stuff to put up with outdoor alaska...
Three slr bodies in 5 years and I gave up on digital.... I still have my medium format and 35mm stuff.... I had much fun using them... and building my own accessories.....

I really like the dragonfly and the frog..... which caused my question about the extension tubes..
If I can get them on the list this summer, my RB67 is being re commissioned....

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
reuben_j_cogburn said:
I was big into photography back in the film days.. unfortunately, the mfg's just don't build their digital stuff to put up with outdoor alaska...
Three slr bodies in 5 years and I gave up on digital.... I still have my medium format and 35mm stuff.... I had much fun using them... and building my own accessories.....

I really like the dragonfly and the frog..... which caused my question about the extension tubes..

No extension tubes just a 600mm lens and setting the digital camera's ISO to 800 on the dragonfly and 1600 on the frog. The frog was shot at 600mm, 800iso, F8 and 1/1000 second exposure. Laying on my belly in the mud alongside a lake for about 10 minutes waiting on him to stick his head back above the water.

The dragonfly shot also at 600mm. F6.3 ISO 400 and 1/320 second. Was truly a luck shot. I was going to a local lake that used to be a gravel pit to photograph a family of beavers. Walking toward the lake, the dragonfly landed right off the path and got one shot at it before it went along to wherever dragonflies go.

street

Hunter
reuben_j_cogburn said:

Both Nikon and Canon make digital cameras that will work in the Alaskan environment. The only problem is The new Nikon D5 camera body only will run you $6,496.95. The Canon EOS-1D C Camera (Body Only) will run $7999.00. :shock: They are all metal bodies and are sealed from the elements. Of course you will have to buy the professional lens that are built like a tank and are sealed from the elements. The Nikon 200 to 400MM f4 will run you $6,996.95 from B & H photo. Well you get the picture, digital in Alaska is not cheap. Who said film is dead? :lol: You old film cameras have never look better.

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
Digital always left me wanting..... I can't afford expensive circuit boards, that I can't afford to buy, let alone replace...
It would take 2 years wages to buy that top end body you mentioned... as long as I didn't need to eat besides.!!!!!!
So now I buy cheapies, as I just document the daily stuff now... but I sure miss my Burke & James 5x7........

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
What I like about digital is being able to be out there and shoot. With my old film cameras, I would have never sat there and let the motor drive fire off 50 shots of a bird in flight just to get one good one or just hold the button down while a buddy fires a flintlock rifle just so I could capture the moment of ignition.

Digital allows that freedom and I shoot a lot more because of it.

F8 and be there does ring true. Grab a camera, go out and take pictures of those things you find interesting and beautiful. Some will share your vision, some won't. Heck, some days you won't even share your own vision. But in the end, being out taking photos is a lot better for me than sitting on the couch. Gets me outdoors, hiking back to places I normally would not go and laying in the mud waiting for a stupid frog to pop his head above water.

Life is very good.