London from a different view.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Our daughter-in-laws unit had take your spouse for a ride day yesterday so Remington got out of flying his plane and go to take a ride in the Osprey which Ashly flies. Naturally the AF does not allow spouses on the same plane as their husband or wife but at least they get to go up. The first picture Rem took out of the back of the Osprey he was in shows a second Osprey which may well be the one his wife is flying. They flew over the River Thames and got close up looks at the Shard, which is the tallest building in Europe and the other picture is the Tower Bridge which where Renay and I and the kids were a few weeks ago standing on the glass panels on the the top deck as we watched the draw bridge portion open up below us as a ship went through. Kind of fun to see the same things from a different "view".

tinman

Buckeye
Those are some awesome photos........They did a lot of the development of the Osprey in my area. Watching them flying around my old farm became fairly common. It did not take long until I could identify one by its distinctive sound. I still get a charge looking at the pics that my daughter sent/sends from her "office" in a KC-135 and her new job with Boeing doing the same thing on the development of the KC-46 Pegasus.

My son, who took the pictures is an A/C on a KC-135 as well. He is hoping to switch over to the 130 refueler so he and his wife can both be at the same base next assignment like they are at Mindenhall there in England. The daughters husband flies the Pavehawk for the AF pararescue jumpers so between the three of them we got the chopper, chopper/plane hybrid and jet all covered!

My kid was "inserted " into the boonies in Afghanistan by an Osprey. He thought it was the coolest ride ever! I've only seen them in "helicopter" mode--they fly too fast and high in "airplane" mode around here. (I guess that's the whole point of them, isn't it?).

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Mike Armstrong said:
My kid was "inserted " into the boonies in Afghanistan by an Osprey. He thought it was the coolest ride ever! I've only seen them in "helicopter" mode--they fly too fast and high in "airplane" mode around here. (I guess that's the whole point of them, isn't it?).

Hi,

Mike, a buddy and I were out in the desert on a camping trip a couple of years back. Where we usually go, there's a clear shot to the east for many miles, while a huge wash full of ironwoods and other tall foliage obscures a lot of the view only a couple hundred yards to the west. We were sitting around watching to see if the mountains move when we heard a strange noise from behind us to the west. At first we thought it was a heavy lift type helicopter as there was construction on a new cross country electrical transmission line coming from a new solar plant which gave the chopper pilots plenty of work, but we couldn't see anything.

By the time the two Ospreys actually making that noise appeared, they were almost right on us, flying in fixed wing mode and moving mach schnell. I dunno how low they were, but I think that 1000' AGL limit private pilots observe was something they had to look up to see! If we'd stood and reached upwards, I'd swear fingertips might have been in danger from those huge props.

And where were the cameras when we needed 'em? Yeah, locked up in the vehicles, and those planes were gone way before we could get them out. Rats... I'm glad Robb's son was better prepared than we were!

Rick C

tinman

Buckeye
Robb Barnes said:
My son, who took the pictures is an A/C on a KC-135 as well. He is hoping to switch over to the 130 refueler so he and his wife can both be at the same base next assignment like they are at Mindenhall there in England. The daughters husband flies the Pavehawk for the AF pararescue jumpers so between the three of them we got the chopper, chopper/plane hybrid and jet all covered!

I hope he gets his wish. My girl was based out of Mindenhall for a few years. During that tour I took her younger brother and sister for a visit....had a great time. She now works for Boeing on the KC-46 project so now I have another excuse to visit the "great north-wet"...... 8)