Rossi 92 in 357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joe S.

Hunter
I have really grown fond of these little rifles. I recently sold my 20" round barrel to buy a 20" octagon barrel and it came in yesterday. Today i stripped it down to get all the grease out that they pack into them for shipping and slick up the action a little bit. Couple new springs and she's running pretty good.

Added a safety delete and as soon as they arrive, will add a stainless mag tube follower and white bead front sight.

Pictures probably not worth a flip.

VNWPR1.jpg

ly6hTR.jpg

Pretty.
Og6Heo.jpg

07LJOD.jpg

I've ways admired the Chiappa 92's because of the finish and fit seemed to be pretty good, just looking at them online. Yesterday i was at a shop and they had one on the shelf so i looked at it, thinking it would make me hate my Rossi. Well i tell you what, that $800 rifle was no smoother than my Rossi was out of the box. I have no reservations any longer now about buying these "cheap" 92's.

Ethang

Blackhawk
Rossi's get a bad rap, but I am on my second now and both shoot good and are fun as heck. No they are not as finely fitted as a real Winchester 92, but with a little bit of work, or just use, they are nice rifles.

Your short rifle looks really good. How does it shoot?

Joe S.

Hunter
Ethang, i hope to answer that question today. I take em down and degunk em before shooting so i polish a few things while i have it apart. I also wiped the stocks down inside and out with Tung Oil so itnis sealed all around.

Ethang

Blackhawk
Joe post up when you shoot it. I have only had mine out one time so far and that was only 25 or 30 rounds. It promises to be a good shooter though. I was glad the sights are well regulated, unlike my 45.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
I have one that was given to me from a friend. It was his Dad's. Lot of fun to shoot.
Just curious, anyone have a favorite hand load for it? I was seriously tempted to take it deer hunting this year for some close up shot options.

Joe S.

Hunter
My plinking load for all my 357's are a 38 special loaded with 158 grain flat point, and 4 grains of Winchester 231 powder. For hunting I usually use a 158 grain jacketed hollow point and 17 grains of Winchester 296… I have had good results with both loads in both rifles and revolvers.

Don Lovel

Hunter
Round up a Marbles Cowboy buckhorn peep site for the rear blade, really a good sight, Brownell's has them. When I had one I used to rabbit & squirrel hunt with those round nose low velocity copper wash .38 special target loads. Barking squirrels and head shooting rabbits with them is easy

Joe S.

Hunter
I ran 75 rds thru the R92 today. Learned it doesnt like sissy strokes. You gotta work the lever like you mean it. And that stain they spray on wood is gonna come off and it gets straight Tung Oil soon as i get a chance. That crap turned my hand (and probably cheek) red.

Accuracy was decent with my plinking load. About 4" @ 50 yards. Not tailored to this gun. Just what i use for close range bottle busting.

toysoldier

Hunter
Joe S. said:
Added a safety delete

Why?
The safety is not obvious, and I have not heard that it affects normal functioning. Personally, I make no use of it, except when emptying the magazine, which has to be done by by levering shells through the action. The safety makes this operation---safer. It's not "traditional", but neither is a Brasilian-made copy of a Winchester.

Ethang

Blackhawk
toysoldier said:
Joe S. said:
Added a safety delete

Why?
The safety is not obvious, and I have not heard that it affects normal functioning. Personally, I make no use of it, except when emptying the magazine, which has to be done by by levering shells through the action. The safety makes this operation---safer. It's not "traditional", but neither is a Brasilian-made copy of a Winchester.

I have never understood this reasoning. From my first Mossberg 500 to my new Rossi I have never fully chambered a round when I was emptying any of my rifles/shotguns. You can cycle the round without fully chambering it, being completely safe in the process.

I personally hate the dang thing, and the stupid hammer lock is worse. The bolt safety can easily be bumped on if the hammer is at half cock. It would not be good to find out you bumped it when you have a nice buck or worse, a defensive use of the rifle.

Lawyers and warning labels have totally screwed up this country.