Group pic

Help Support Ruger Forum:

PotatoJudge

Single-Sixer
Thought I'd post a pic of some of the Rugers I had out this afternoon.

Clockwise, starting at 12
Ruger Security Six 6 inch with a scope mount. Haven't decided what sighting system I want yet.
FA 83 in 44 mag, 6 inch, octagon barrel, and Leupold M8 4X
Single Six in 38 Special by Clements bought on this forum. Perfect compliment to the FA. On it's way back to Clements soon for a new firing pin, brushed finish to match the FA, and whatever David sees fit to update ("That's a very old build. I make them much better now")
Bisley Blackhawk 45 Colt, my Pop's gun gifted to me. The first single action I shot and got me hooked.
Vaquero in 45 Colt with a Bisley hammer. Project gun for the future?
The bottom pair are Vaqueros tuned by Bob Munden. Both 45 Colt, Power Custom SAA gen 2 grip frames with Eagle Gunfighter grips (I think). Came with all correspondence, papers, test targets. Very light slick actions and I really like the grip frames. SN differ by less than a hundred. Can't decide to keep an shoot them, sell one or both, or send them out for dovetail front sights, BP chamfer, Turnbull refinishing, etc.
8 o'clock is a Blackhawk 45 Colt/ACP by Gallagher, new 4 in barrel, birds head grip frame, action work, Bowen rear sight. I made the grips out of stabilized spalted maple and ordered an EPS Threepersons cross draw in black. Gonna try to take a deer with it this year.
Bearcat Shopkeeper soon to be sent to Clements for a longer barrel, tune up, dovetail sight, etc. I'll be making grips like on the Gallagher gun and make those two a pair like the FA/Single Six for me and my daughter. The gun was so poorly polished I sent it back and they repolished it, I fixed some more after it came back and may have David fix the rest. Ruger was REALLY heavy handed on the wheel that day.
Bisley Vaquero 45 Colt 5.5 in barrel. Poor fitting grips, minor finish issues but great action. Can't decide to leave as is, send it out for tune an finish, or have someone make it a 475 Linebaugh or 480 Ruger using a 5.5 inch octagon .475 barrel by Gallagher I picked up. Any idea if I'll save much time or money on a build by supplying the barrel?
Last gun is a Security Six 4 inch barrel. I've done all I can for these to Six series guns and they're fine, but for DA I'm seriously leaning toward transitioning all over to S&W and selling them both.

Snyd

Single-Sixer
PotatoJudge said:
...Bisley Vaquero 45 Colt 5.5 in barrel. Poor fitting grips, minor finish issues but great action. Can't decide to leave as is, send it out for tune an finish, or have someone make it a 475 Linebaugh or 480 Ruger using a 5.5 inch octagon .475 barrel by Gallagher I picked up. Any idea if I'll save much time or money on a build by supplying the barrel?...

Yes, you can save money by supplying the barrel. JG just finished up a 500L for me. I had actually purchased the octagon barrel from him before deciding to have him do the build. Give him a call or email and talk to him about it.

coach

Hunter
I really like the stainless Blackhawk with the birdshead grey dyed grips. It should look nice in the black threepersons rig if that's the one you mean.

PotatoJudge

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys. Snyd, gonna have to do that.
Coach, here's a pic of the rig and grips. First set of grips and they weren't as hard as I thought they might be and I'm happy enough with the fit. Not perfect but they cost me maybe $40 and I learned a few things. Next set should be easier.

The other side has better figure and spalting, but I couldn't tell that until I'd shaped them or I'd have put that blank on the right side.

PotatoJudge

Single-Sixer
They were stabilized with a blue resin. I didn't color them, jus fit, sanded, and lacquered. I have to assume that before stabilization they were the typical honey/dark tan of figured maple. Having worked with a lot of figured maple in the past making furniture, I can say that without being stabilized it would have been harder to shape the blanks and I'd have had more tear-out and defects in the finished product, plus the grips would be much more fragile at the edges.

PotatoJudge

Single-Sixer
Yep, 5 shooter and it feels just right in the hands, great fitting comfortable grips, nice trigger, and excellent sights. Among other changes, the loading gate was opened up for the larger rounds.

Folks have made the SS in various 22 and 32 caliber rounds as well as 38, 357, 9mm and 41 Special.