A New-To-Me .22 WMR Only RSSM

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pete44ru

Hunter

Lightning DOES strike twice ! :mrgreen:

I once had a .22-mag only Single Six Magnum, but foolishly sold it (about 35 years ago)

Today, I finally came across it's replacement.

pix674226987.jpg

pix525869682.jpg

It looks to be pretty minty, which makes me excited to shoot it.

pete44ru

Hunter

This one's from 1960, and IIRC, so many mag-only users were sending their guns in to be fitted with a LR cylinder, that the factory thought a convertible ought to sell well, and started issuing convertibles sometime late 1961 or early 1962.

I would presume the only way to discern if an RSSM was issued as a convertible (RSSMX ?) would be through Ruger Customer Service.

I would presume the only way to discern if an RSSM was issued as a convertible (RSSMX ?) would be through Ruger Customer Service.

Yes you are correct. Unless it came with the 22 LR cylinder and it was the cylinder with the S/N on it. I assume yours dose NOT have the cylinder with the recessed chambers. Does yours have the Eagle on the barrel? Two of mine do and 3 don't. Also two have XR3-RED grip frames. The Mag only were sold from the factory as convertibles starting in 1960 RSSMX.
Good 22s
Jim

pete44ru

Hunter

No eagle on the bbl, Jim - just the two on the grip estuceons.

I haven't pulled the grips to check the type, but given the DOM, I'd think they'd be XR-3's.

pete44ru

Hunter

Today, I installed a set of Ruger grip medallions, that another board member gave me (Thanks, SATCOM ! ), into some plain SI Ajax XR-3 grips, and mounted the SI grips on my RSSM.

(The case is a Father's Day gift from my Son, I made the cartridge block from some Ebony 2"x2" stock, that I've had for 20 years)

DSCN2291_zpsezggyip6.jpg

pete44ru

Hunter
Thanks very much, for the kind words, all ! :)

I intend to attempt making a set of horn XR-3 grips, from a couple of Bison horn $1.99 dog treats, that I currently have soaking in household amonia, so I can press the halved sections flat B 4 I proceed.

DSCN2227.jpg
DSCN2231.jpg