5" barreled OM BH's with full length Ejector rods.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

71shooter

Single-Sixer
If anyone has had one of these made up, I would love see pics. I am considering an OM small frame flattop like this, but need to see more pics. Thanks

RonEgg

Blackhawk
Here is an OM 45 convertible built by Clements.

101.jpg

106.jpg

Companion in 44, again built by Clements.

P1010103.jpg

P1010104.jpg

P1010102.jpg

And the difference between a normal ERH and a full 5 inch one.

8-1.jpg

9.jpg

71shooter

Single-Sixer
Those are just beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I have two guns in mind: a 4 and 5/8" 44spl with the original aluminum grip to keep weight down, and a 5" 45Colt with a Power Custom steel two piece grip frame and carved ivory stocks by Persinger. I think I need to get the 45 done first before the new ivory trade restrictions go into effect. I am not certain what barrel length the 45 Colt should be, but I'm leaning 5" with the full length ejector rod. Thanks again for the pics.

71shooter

Single-Sixer
Did your 45 Colt have the original cylinder re-bored, or was a new/longer cylinder used? If the original cylinder was used, do you know if loads with the RCBS 270-SAA will work? I'm curious because original OM 357 Cylinders are just a smidge shorter than Colt SAA cylinders, and the 270-SAA was designed to take advantage of the full length of SAA cylinder throats. Thanks

71shooter

Single-Sixer
Have you weighed these two guns? Just curious. My 4 and 5/8" 44 special should come in weighing 34-35oz's, but I'm not sure what the 5" 45 Colt will end up weighing. It will get a steel grip frame and one piece Ivories, so it should be a good bit heavier. Thanks

RonEgg

Blackhawk
I'm sorry I don't have a scale that is precise enough to weigh anything over a pound and under ten. Both of mine are all steel with Sambar on the 45 and Elk on the 44.

71shooter

Single-Sixer
That thing may not have all the bells and whistles, but it's a looker, and I bet it shoots. Does that have a steel aluminum grip?

71shooter

Single-Sixer
Wow ! That thing is perfect! Long emouth to have a descent sight radius and light weight as well. You've given me some great ideas. Is the maximum the only source for 5" aluminum grip frames?

cadillo

Blackhawk
71shooter said:
Those are just beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I have two guns in mind: a 4 and 5/8" 44spl with the original aluminum grip to keep weight down, and a 5" 45Colt with a Power Custom steel two piece grip frame and carved ivory stocks by Persinger. I think I need to get the 45 done first before the new ivory trade restrictions go into effect. I am not certain what barrel length the 45 Colt should be, but I'm leaning 5" with the full length ejector rod. Thanks again for the pics.

Just a comment on your having stated that you wish to keep the weight down by staying with the aluminum grip frame; I have an Old Model .44 Special 4 5/8" conversion by Alan Harton. I had him fit a stainless Old Army grip frame and steel ERH during the build, and for me it is just a tad light in weight for that combination of barrel length and caliber. I realize that the .45 Colt has a less snappy recoil impulse than the .44, and that will help with the .45 regardless of barrel length, but if I had it to do over again, I would have gone with a 5.5 or even 6 inch in .44 Special or stayed with the 4 5/8", but opted for the .45 Colt if using that barrel length.

Funny thing is that I have a New Model Stainless Flat Top in .44 Special, and even with its 4 5/8" tube it dampens recoil a lot better than the conversion gun with SS grip frame. The Old Model feels noticeably lighter than the new Flat Top, even with the Old Army grip frame.

I'm not criticizing your choices, but just wanted to lend you my experiences. I'm sure that you will enjoy your custom guns whatever combinations you settle on. It really is nice to have one unlike any one else's.

71shooter

Single-Sixer
Thanks for your comments and observations. I have a 5.5" NM 44 spl. At 42oz, it is quite heavy, and I consider it perfect for hunting and practice shooting, but not for belt cary when kicking around. The 4 and 5/8" old model 44 should weigh about 35oz, and be a true "mountain" gun. No Keith loads for this one. Just Keith bullets at 900fps or so. Not sure what the 5" 45 Colt will weigh, but with one piece ivories, and a two piece steel grip frame from ron power (thinking of the colt style grip, but I may go with the #5), the gun should be heavier and more shootable. Thanks again for your advice and comments. I really appreciate it.

toroflow

Single-Sixer
I am curious...if having a full length ejector rod is important enough to you to go to the expense of a 5" barrel, why not (I thought) just use a base pin from a 3 3/4" gun (they have minimal protrusion from the frame) and get your 3/8" of ejector travel back with the 4 5/8" gun? Perhaps this is a case of "if you have to ask, you don't get it". That could be! I'm somewhat old and set in my ways! ;)

71shooter

Single-Sixer
toroflow said:
I am curious...if having a full length ejector rod is important enough to you to go to the expense of a 5" barrel, why not (I thought) just use a base pin from a 3 3/4" gun (they have minimal protrusion from the frame) and get your 3/8" of ejector travel back with the 4 5/8" gun? Perhaps this is a case of "if you have to ask, you don't get it". That could be! I'm somewhat old and set in my ways! ;)

While extra ejector rod travel is nice, that has very little baring on my like of 5" barrels with a full length ejector rod. I mostly just like the looks and extra sight radius. I've never had a full blown custom revolver built (Though a special ordered FA 1997 with a 4.75" barrel came close.), so I figured I'd order it up just how I like it! :D