David Bradshawh Photos - Vol. XLIX

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lee Martin

Hunter
As a track heats up, hunter must be ready. This is one way.

Group of four photos show track of same whitetail buck over several hours.

Buck had not bedded this morning before David jumped him. After bounding a couple hundred yards, buck slowed to a walk, seen here.

Jumped buck three times this day. He never bedded. Second time, he led me into a bog. Back out and circled south. To my surprise, picked up his track again. Whitetail knows you're on him may take you by the sweetest route into a bog. Before you know it, one misstep put you over your boot top. Only safe way out is to backtrack. Buck made a big swing around, no doubt verifying the predator on his trail. Jumped him the third time, well into the afternoon, without making contact. A brisk hike with a compass got me back to camp not long after dark.

A serious binocular does not fatigue or compromise the stamina of a hunter's eyes. While not necessary to tracking, the binocular nevertheless provides great moments of viewing the occasional pileated woodpecker as it rips lumber from a bug-infested soft maple. At times, the binocular makes possible the identification of a distant landmark. Binoculars range from useless to great. This is an old, fine Zeiss 10x40mm, with the very wide eyepieces vital to serious viewing. Burris makes a modestly priced 10x42mm which represents extreme value, also with wide ocular lens and clear as a bell.

A once-fine piece of leather feels its age. Buckle cut from quarter-inch brass, tongue cut from copper pipe. Single layer 2-7/8" cowhide belt, originally made for early sixties Blackhawk .357 6-1/2-inch. Rivers, lakes, rain, sweat, countless applications of neatsfoot oil and other leather treatments. Comfort----with accessibility----contributes health & stamina on the trail, with continued health off the trail. Selection should be as individual as anatomy itself.

Another day, another snow

Tracking, in the White Cathedral.

Strong side carry. Holster also works cross draw.

A sight block in holster channels revolver topstrap, while protecting sight.

Snow laden boughs defeat much of the advantage of scopes. You'll want to button your collar before following a deer through these woods.

One hour twenty minutes into track, a drop of blood from rear right foot. Most likely a cut from somewhere on the trail. Buck showed no sign of instability or uncertainty during the six hours David tracked it. Nor did the deer bed once. The buck never stopped.

After six hours continuous tracking, David had no idea where he was. The deer always knows where it is. Buck forgot to read the book that says whitetails stay within one mile of where they're born. This guy made wide swings north and south, while working ever eastward through mountain hardwoods. In the fade of day, David finally broke off the track. Eventually came onto a camp road, where he met another hunter. The hunter called his wife----also hunting----by walkie talklie. "I think I know who this guy is," he said to his wife. "He doesn't have a rifle. But I'll bet he has something under his coat."

gunsbam69

Hunter
Thanks for sharing. I've put in some long hard miles and came home late tired and hungry after just getting glimpses of the game's backside many a time. Perseverance usually has it's reward in the end though. Great post, but see if you can get us a deer with a .45 slug through it in the next one :mrgreen:

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Wendy.... Have hunted at 12-degrees fahrenheit in the Hill Country. Roasting backstrap from revolver-slain whitetail over a mesquite fire. Deer taken while still hunting in an area supposedly "devoid of deer." Would have felt warmer with snow on the ground. And, had there been snow, would've tried to take advantage.
David Bradshaw

gunsbam69

Hunter
"devoid of deer." That reminds me of my chicken hunting territory. A friend of mine I hunt on that farms and never hunts used to tell me "Well, you can go, but there ain't hardly any chickens left in this part of the country anymore." I get my two about half the time, and usually see at least a hundred, sometimes a few hundred most of the time when I go. Now, most of them are about 1/4 to 1/2 mile ahead of me, or just cruising by well out of range, or way high like they're practicing to go on a trip with the geese, but they're sure enough still in that part of the country. They really aren't the finest table fare out there, and the miles are usually long walking for them, but you get to see some country, and the walk turns up a lot more than just chickens more often than not. Pheasants and quail are easier, and better in the pan, but I'd rather walk for prairie chicken. By the time you get two chickens, you might have more quail and pheasant than that already anyway. Once my .224-32 FA comes in, maybe even a coyote :mrgreen: