A Classic Marlin 32 Special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A classic in a caliber / cartridge I like:

This is a first year gun, or I should say first half-year gun as the Model 336 started in June 1948. I've always liked the SC (Sporting Carbine) type. This one is in pretty nice shape with no extra holes and only a few dings. The 32 Special was always pretty good with cast bullets - and for some reason I've always preferred the 32 to the 30-30 parent round.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
Great gun!! thanks for posting......

I love my .32 special. It was my Dads, and my Mom gave it to me on my birthday the year after Dad died. I took it hunting on his land that same month and killed a small buck (and several with it since). Always feel like he is hunting with me.

Mine shoots the 170 grain Winchester Super X incredibly accurate; but I never stretch it out over 100 yds. Each deer hit is DRT.
Use a basic 3x9x40 mounted on see thru sites to be able to use the iron sites as well.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
My brother's in-laws lived in Washington state. All of the men in that family hunted with old Marlin 1894s in .32 Winchester Special. I think that was the model; they were the old square bolt action with straight grip stocks 2/3 length magazine and banded forearms, they preceeded the Model 36.

Bob Wright

Correction: Just looked up a picture of the Model 1893 and it had a slim, capped forearm, not banded.

Bob Wright said:
My brother's in-laws lived in Washington state. All of the men in that family hunted with old Marlin 1894s in .32 Winchester Special. I think that was the model; they were the old square bolt action with straight grip stocks 2/3 length magazine and banded forearms, they preceeded the Model 36.

Bob Wright

Correction: Just looked up a picture of the Model 1893 and it had a slim, capped forearm, not banded.

As Bob notes the Marlin lineage incorporated the 32 Special all the way back to the square bolt 1893 rifle and followed the 30-30 cartridge (I believe the 30-30 was developed 1895??) with the larger caliber 32 Win Special (I believe around late 1900 or 1901??). The 1893 evolved through the 1936 model and then 36 and finally the 336 (with the major redesign to the round bolt from square) in 1948. The 30-30 was always the chambering of the largest number of rifles, but the 32 Special hasn't ever been "rare" or "scarce." But in more modern times we don't see it as much - many don't see much difference in shooting the 32 vs the 30-30, but I continue to prefer the 32.

Thanks for all the positive comments!

muzzleloader

Single-Sixer
Gosh, that looks like it was built last week! My Grandpa liked the 32 also, although his was in a Winchester. It brought back a few Upper Peninsula whitetails.