My Colorado Fishing Hole

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rick Courtright said:
Wyandot Jim said:
Wifie and I went to this small lake at about 10,000' today and caught a few stocker Bows.

Hi,

Jim, do those 10,000 footers look like regular rainbows, or have they become victims of their environment and taken on strange shapes?

Several of the lakes I've fished here at that kind of altitude are rather small "alpine" lakes one has to backpack into. Many were originally stocked by air. For those unfamiliar with the practice, the fish are tiny fingerlings when they're dropped on a "bombing run" and from there on it's everybody for himself. A lot of these kinds of lakes are kinda short on food, and the fish grow up with "regular" sized heads, but very stunted body growth. They can look like something out of those cartoons where the cat just ate the fish and tosses the skeleton on the bone pile!

Rick C
Rick,
Here are some pictures of some Bows I caught in a lake. As you can see they are nice and fat. The smaller ones are a typical stocker 10-12". The 19-17" are carry overs
I think the RIVER fish tend to be skinny is due to the food amount and they are always in motion. They are strong fish for sure even a 12" one will put up a fight in a current.