When California falls into the ocean...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Lots of jokes are made of CA falling into the ocean! Could it happen? Who knows... but IF "The Big One" comes, a few scientists feel it's gonna happen in our desert east of here, with an epicenter not all that far from where these pictures were taken.

A buddy and I were out this morning, scouting some possible dove hunting spots for Monday's opener, and decided to add a little fun to the trip. He works for the county transportation department, and was assigned to a yard near the foot of this hill until they moved him recently. His boss had told him about how the San Andreas Fault ran right along the back side of it, and he wanted to actually go up and see what's there. So we took a little ride (with apologies for cell phone pix):

Starting the climb, a little ridge can be seen near the top left thru the windshield. There's part of it which looks like a small slide, where the left corner of the mirror is pointing. That's where we're headed:

IMG-20140830-00049_zps2efddde9.jpg

There's a "road" that goes up most of the way, which got the oil in the 4wd-Lo part of the transfer case warmed up nicely. Turns out the fault had a bad case of the jitters some years back, and just opened up. This is where the rift begins:

IMG-20140830-00051_zps91c27490.jpg

The split in the earth runs basically west to east. From the shadow which faces almost due west, we pan a couple of hundred yards to the east where we see that "little" slide drops down pretty quickly. The top of that hill is maybe 450 ft in elevation, and the drop off isn't visible on this side, but it's easily a couple of hundred feet almost straight down from the edge:

IMG-20140830-00050_zpsf5e670e4.jpg

Continuing to the east, things open up some, and get even deeper:

IMG-20140830-00055_zps4d3070ff.jpg

Finally what we could see opens up to the desert floor, and appears to come to an end about the middle of the little hill in the center, but it turns and continues around the right end a ways. That's actually close to a couple of miles away:

IMG-20140830-00058_zps358780a6.jpg

There's a good and a bad side to the trip's story... the bad being we found lots of doves, but they were all in people's yards and holding tight! The good? We didn't have any earthquakes while we were up there, but if we had, you're looking at the view from future beach front property, as we were on the "good" side! And one of my buddy's coworkers from the "old" yard met us for breakfast later, bringing a load of mesquite he'd cut on his property so we could enjoy a couple of barbecues watching sunsets from that beach! Wonder how long we've gotta wait? ;)

Rick C

Rick, like many I fall into the fall into the ocean jokes at times, but it does look like some pretty country, and we are all Americans. Love the good natured ribbing, but it does seem to be a state to be fun to visit and see.

No-1

Single-Sixer
The strongest quake in US history was on the Madras fault in Missouri. Just think when the east falls into the Atlantic.

For all the "slurbs" and mixed nuts, California has one heck of a lot of empty. Most of us are stuck in a skinny line along the West edge. Inland, and between the cities....mostly nada. I recently saw a big ole tom mountain lion not 100 yards from "The Slab" (I-5) and within thirty miles of a few million Angelenos.

(I'll leave it to your imagination how I knew he was a tom....hint "WHEEOOOO--RANK!!!!")

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Wyandot Jim said:
What happened to all the trees???

Hi,

Jim, whassa tree? :)

Actually, would you believe that within 30 miles of that site, in a straight line, we can be catching little browns like that little fellow in your CO picture at the edge of a pine forest that was thick enough it was still being logged into the '80s? That's one of the beauties of California's geography: in the same vein as the adage "Don't like the weather? Wait 30 minutes and it'll be different!", you can drive an hour or so and be in a completely different environment!

Still waiting to look out my west facing kitchen window to find I'm living at the beach again! With my current address... :lol:

Rick C

cruzerlou

Buckeye
We were out there in 2007 and I must say as to the difference between Ca. and Mars is that you don't need a space suit to protect you from the environment im Ca..
Very different than here in Va. but still a neat place.
Lou

Wyandot Jim said:
Rick,
What happened to all the trees??? Did you cut them all down to built houses in
L A :D :D And people think Texas has a desert :)

Great pictures :wink:
Great photos! Speaking of Texas...many years ago my wife flew out to El Paso, when I graduated from the Sergeants Major Academy First Sergeant Course, and I took her up to McKelligon Canyon. Told her to close her eyes until I told her to open them. Turned her pointing Northeast and told her to look. There is NOTHING, as far as can be seen, except desert. A good days journey in a covered wagon was about twenty+ miles per day and there really ain't much water out there.