RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:59 am 
Single-Sixer

Need some suggestions : My new ( several months old ) Ruger Officers style is failing to go into battery. Usually a couple times per magazine , sometimes more , sometimes less. I'm using factory ammo , the pistol is well lubed .... I have no issues with my other 1911's. ( thinking limp wristing ) It appears the slide / bolt is racking forward with a cartridge then hanging up on the extractor ??? The pistol is completely factory , didn't change springs ..... Anyone else had this problem ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
regards , brushunter

I did just send off a note to Ruger , I'm thinking they'll want it back

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:04 pm 

Try 2 or 3 different brands of ammo.
Try 2 or 3 different magazines.

Have a trusted friend shoot it too.

After that if it's still acting the same ...... then a trip to Ruger seems to be in order.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:48 pm 
Single-Sixer

hittman , have actually tried 3 brands plus my reloads ( loaded with 200gr XTPs and Nosler 185gr HPs ) . The mags , well , I've tried both that were shipped with pistol. I haven't had anyone else shoot it . I did shoot my range officer , no problems , though its a full sized 1911.

I did hear back from Ruger already. Told me to call a certain number , did that , ended up talking to " Wayne ". Wayne said to shoot 200 more rounds through it .... if it doesn't work itself out , call him directly and he'd send me a label to return it. He said only two things would create the problem I described to him ... faulty or weak recoil springs or a burr of bump somewhere ... He claims he had a commander that didn't act right until it had hundreds of rounds through it. I've had it apart , including the extractor .... cleaned everything and oiled it up. I don't see anything unusual ... I'm gonna go out tomorrow and run a couple hundred rounds through it , see what happens. Thanks for your suggestion regards , brushunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:41 pm 

Sounds like you're doing all the right stuff.

My 9mm Commander has been flawless from day one which is absolutely NO help to you. :lol:

Let us know if a couple hundred more round loosens her up some and gets it on the right track.

Or you know ..... if you have a buddy with one you could switch recoil springs for a day or two.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:31 pm 
Single-Sixer

Rained all day, on and off ... maybe tomorrow ....i'll keep you posted.

regards , brushunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:34 am 
Blackhawk

Wonder how this ended up?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:28 am 
Blackhawk

It is probably the extractor spring tension is not right. It is not worth buying the tools for one gun and would probably be cheaper to find a good gunsmith that knows what he is doing or send it back to Ruger. I would opt for the latter. It is their problem. If you hold their feet to the fire they will probably send you a shipping label to send it to them. Call them and ask to speak to one of their technical people because the customer service people will likely not know of the problem. If all else fails, call Wilson and ask if their extractors are set when you get them (as in ready to drop in) or if they have to be adjusted also. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:28 pm 
Hawkeye

brushunter wrote:

...ended up talking to " Wayne ". Wayne said to shoot 200 more rounds through it .... if it doesn't work itself out , call him directly and he'd send me a label to return it.

Ruger's customer service is mostly exemplary.

But there are also a few times when their customer service sucks eggs.

My 1911 10mm, after it blew up, and after a couple trips back to Ruger, still malfunctioned, and they told be to buy more ammo and keep shooting to see if it would fix itself. This costed me a lot of money over a year, the gun never fixed itself, and it was finally replaced, not by Ruger, but by Davidson's.

If they want you to try a couple more hundred rounds, ask them to send you the ammo.

Please don't stand for this treatment.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:35 pm 

I feel WAYNO's pain.

On an LC9 they told me 200 to 300 rounds for break in. It'd already fired 500 and I'd told them that.

On the LC9s Pro that had the trigger pinch my finger they said I should adjust my grip to accommodate the gun and eventuallly I'd get used to the pinching thing. I sent it to them and (even though FREE) it came back to me the same way.

I carry a G43 now. I traded a local store the 2 LC9s even up for the Glock.