Medallions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DEVIL DOG

Bearcat
Been wanting toi get some replacement RUGER grip panels for my SR1911. Noticed some have a Black medallion While others have a red one. Is there a significance between the colors?

dakota1911

Buckeye
These days I do not think so. The story I remember from years ago was Sturm designed the eagle and initially they were red. When Alexander Sturm died then Bill Ruger had them done in black. These days I think it is what one think looks better if you are buying replacement grips or stocks.

Most of the newer "red ones" we see today are actually the background of the eagle is red, this has been since the advent of the anniversary models in 1999, those first 1999 standard autos had the red background on the grip medallion as well as the medallion on the bottom of the grips, so we always call these anniversary medallions, then in 2005 or so they started to put black eagle medallions on the new guns , and the ones you order from the Ruger shop can have these, throw back to the old models of the mid 50s and up till the New models of 1973............
I saw a pair last week that looked like ivory ( faux) and had the red background medallions for the SR1911, and they looked GOOD....... 8) :roll: :wink:

dakota1911

Buckeye
I think they are very often the silver eagle on a black background. Below the ones with the red background I bought off shopruger.com years ago and put them on a CMD I bought in 2013. Below it is a Night Watchman CMD (in steel) which has the more common black background.

Ruger called the ones I bought "delta grips" and I told myself if Ruger ever made a SR1911 in 10mm I would have to put them on it, which is where they are now. That CMD now has some "wings" stocks I also bought off shopruger.com like the ones on the SR1911 below.

I have seen black eagles as the ones that came on my Ruger/Lipsey "flat top" in 45Colt/45ACP.

Latest posts