One of a kind 1911's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Where is the op located? (Forum rules and all...)

Prescott normally won't release any prototype models, not even to site execs. Certainly nothing that hasn't been proofed and test fired. They could be employee group special runs, like the green anodized tiger striped sets of 1911 and SR22 pistols. But...

"...a whole pile..."? :? Without pics and some detail... It is a DoD facility after all, very secure so there are no frames unaccounted for.
But with some details we can make a couple calls...

Terry T

Buckeye
Mohavesam,

Couple of questions:

The new Model 6773 in Robin's Egg Blue has some tasteful engraving.

https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=6773&zipcode=28712

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/794659617

I assume this is some sort of factory machine engraving?

The reason I ask is that I've acquired an 'Officer size' .45 with similar engraving and am wondering if it's a "prototype" or some sort of Dealer Sample? Box has a red stamped "DM". Any 'gossep' in town about this engraving?

I too am having trouble posting photos but...the stash that is being reffered to included some before unkown (to me) model 6723 that appear to be a factory "prototype" light tan finish "commander" size .45acp - one is all tan with black controls and grips and one has a tan slide with a black frame. No picture of the 3rd gun.
There is also a full size .45 with a black slide and a tan frame (bit darker that the model 6723).

These are some odd guns, for sure, and the shop says they came from the factory this way. :shock:
I'll need to get some letters off to Ruger to see what I've actually got. (If their records actually show any special work).

Pinnacle Sports, New Port, N.H. 603.843.8667.
Terry T

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Flatbolt3006 said:
I didn't know Prescott did sales. Thought they where just manufacturing.
All Ruger guns go through distributors. Employee guns still go distributors, then to local transfer FFL sellers.

From what I've seen, this post is about production (albeit small runs) guns with supply chain features. The engraving is laser cut, then chased by hand. Known coating and engraving suppliers. Can I say pimp guns?

Terry T

Buckeye
Mohavesam,

Would you say this is "factory engraved"?
I'm guessing it was done by one of the "known engraving suppliers".

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/788187413

Thanks, I'll get a letter off to Ruger in a couple of weeks. Hopefully, Ruger kept records of such things.
Terry T

Terry T

Buckeye
Yes, In my humble opinion, the Robin's Egg Blue, engraved, pearl griped gun fits the description of "Pimp gun". :shock:
Not that I know any pimps personally. Just say'n.
Terry T

Terry T

Buckeye
Flatbolt3006,
It has to do with the Federal Firearms laws - manufacturers can not sell directly to retail outlets, only to distributors. There is a 'distributor name' between the factory (across the street) and the retail store. There is a legal chain of ownership through a distributor, even if it appears as if the shop walked across the street to the factory and picked up the guns.
The SR1911s are made in AZ, not NH.

Terry T

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Flatbolt3006 said:
mohavesam said:
All Ruger guns go through distributors. Employee guns still go distributors, then to local transfer FFL sellers.
Except the ones they just do dealer transfers for. All the Newport employee guns and any list guns and even new guns. That the two shops across the street get are just dealer transfers.

This is true but most employee purchases leave the factories as purchased property. Some still come through Davidson's here. Not much relevance to the conversation, but points to you for the technicality. For a non-employee, reality of federal law kicks in.

Flatbolt3006 said:
mohavesam said:
Except the ones they just do dealer transfers for. All the Newport employee guns and any list guns and even new guns. That the two shops across the street get are just dealer transfers.

When the family owned the company, One local dealer was always considered a 'distributor' as a matter of convenience and had access to the UGB directly. They also did the employee transfers at no cost to either the factory or the employee...times have changed but there are NO distributors involved in employee transfers still that I am aware of in Newport and the law doesn't require manufacturers to use a two step model, Ruger has always chosen that model since the jobbers of the 1950's...

Some distributors will BUY all used guns/samples so that they control the distribution of ALL their exclusives, some distributors will buy all the UGB guns available at a certain time, I know that Cabela's was doing this for a while thru a specific distributor.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Agree. Here at least, all employee guns leave the plant as purchased guns - private property if you will, just needed to be transferred by a type 01 FFL, which the factory is not. Some arrive through Davidson's, adding to the process.