RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:15 am 
Bearcat

The slow group thanks you...

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I'm the one that was not getting the mag fully locked in, but didn't realize what was happening and had to have someone else point that out to me. And that's after literally thousands of times inserting magazines in pistols w/o a hitch.

Just goes to show that no matter how much experience you have, carelessness can creep in. So if there is a slow group around here I'm a leading candidate to be its president. Vote for me!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:52 pm 
Single-Sixer

Sounds like the slide isn't going far enough to the rear to pick up the new round.

???
Is this a new gun? Needs breaking in
Are you shooting light loads, target loads or reloads? Not enough power to drive slide back
Have you installed a heavier recoil spring. Same thing heavy spring or combination light loads
Extra heavy magazine spring causing slide to drag more than normal on the top round in magazine
Limp wristing the gun
Or a combination of all of the above

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:32 pm 
Hawkeye

bentblade wrote:
Sounds like the slide isn't going far enough to the rear to pick up the new round.

???
Is this a new gun? Needs breaking in
Are you shooting light loads, target loads or reloads? Not enough power to drive slide back
Have you installed a heavier recoil spring. Same thing heavy spring or combination light loads
Extra heavy magazine spring causing slide to drag more than normal on the top round in magazine
Limp wristing the gun
Or a combination of all of the above

Hmm, talk about the slow group? Read the whole thread, your questions will be answered.
gramps

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:55 am 
Hunter

I was a little confused also at the beginning because the OP never said (until his 5th post) that the round was not getting chambered. Even before that, that was my first thought because I had seen/heard about this happening (mag not fully lock into place thus next round not feeding) in the past. Seems it did this on peoples guns when they were new and everything was still pretty tight. When I got my first SR1911 I would do the same thing as the OP did but I always pulled on the full magazine to make sure it seated and locked. If I did not do that I did every now and then have the same thing happen. The mag wasn't locked in and upon firing that +1 round the mag dropped a little and the next round never got fed into the chamber, thus the no bang upon trigger pull.

NRA Benefactor