Best 1911 magazines

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dakota1911

Buckeye
I have three. An all steel I bought in Jan. 2013 on top (with aftermarket grips on it). A Night Watchman (steel) I bought in 2014 and a LW I bought in 2015. They have all worked O.K. with the supplied Ruger mags.

Some of the confusion might be with the early full size SR1911s. I bought a couple back in 2012. They came with one 7 round mag and one 8 round mag. Many people had issues with the 8 round mag. One can go to Brownells and search on 1911 mags and get confused.

Besides Ruger mags (not sure who makes them) I have used Colt, Wilson, Metal form, Check Mate, Mec-Gar, ACT, Brownells brand, and many others in the Rugers and they have worked O.K. It might be worth it to look at Brownells and other on-line sales sources and look for sales where one can get a 3 pack of some mag for $x.

With the LW Commander I am not sure the follower is the problem it is with other alloy framed pistols as Ruger puts a Titanium insert in the ramp are.

Magnumite

Bearcat
Ruger has built a very good magazine. It has run flawless in mine Rugers and a couple others. Pushing down on the follower would be a useful observation.

mistermills357

Blackhawk
I have Chip McCormick, and I have had one loaded for about 10 years now. I like them, and they are very high quality.

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
Magnumite said:
Ruger has built a very good magazine.

Ruger doesn't make their own magazines. Neither does Springfield. Colt hasn't made magazines in house since the late 50s. Ruger's vendor is Check Mate Industries. Metalform supplies magazines to Springfield.
Colt's magazine suppliers are Check Mate, Metalform, and OKAY Industries at one time, but I think they folded.

MeCormicks are probably Metalforms. Not sure who makes'em for Wilson Combat.

gunzo

Buckeye
Tuner, Thank you for the mag info, very informative.

I've no idea about Wilsons either. But if any of the above make them, they make them in another room away from what they send to some manufacturers.
My SA 9mm 1911 factory supplied mags are hard to load, they're rough & try to cut me. I use them & they work just fine, but refined they are not.
Even though I had 6 from SA, I broke down & ordered a $35 Wilson. Some would, have, made fun of me for spending that kind of money for a mag. I will, again.

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
gunzo said:
I've no idea about Wilsons either. But if any of the above make them, they make them in another room away from what they send to some manufacturers.

The vendors make the magazines to the contractor's specifications. If one customer wants the tubes deburred and polished, that's what they get...at extra cost, of course.

There are less than a half dozen US vendors currently making 1911 magazines. Check Mate and Metalform are the top two.