SR 1911 Commander .45 Slide Release lever creeps up

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hillman

Bearcat
Hello,
I have a used SR1911 .45 Commander size that I just picked up in a trade, and it's giving me a problem. I have three SR1911 FS that are awesome to shoot, but this commander has a problem where the slide release lever creeps up every 2nd or 3rd shot until it engages and locks the slide back. I have used several different magazines, including Ruger and Wilson combat mags that work on my other 1911s, doesn't make a difference. I'm using factory ammo, no reloads. And I tried several different grip methods to make sure it's not my hand or thumb hitting it and it's not. I know I can send it back to Ruger but if it's as simple as putting in a new slide release lever I'd rather do that as I have other WC springs, guide rod and other parts installed that I'd rather not have to uninstall before shipping it back. This came to me with the upgrades, and a bag full of original parts all mixed together... The slide release lever is original, however.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

cas6969

Buckeye
Take the slide off, install the release and insert a loaded magazine. See if the bullets are bumping it upwards.

Cholo

Staff member
There seems to be a constant theme on this Forum where someone takes a perfectly good Ruger and fills it with aftermarket parts and it doesn't function. Must be something wrong with one of Ruger's parts. Yup...:roll:

cas6969

Buckeye
If what I say isn't happening, there's a decent chance it will be happening if he just swaps in a new slide release. ;)

hillman

Bearcat
Update, installed the new Slide Release lever, no change. Returned all original Ruger parts into the pistol, removed all "upgrade" Wilson Combat parts, tried it again, same thing is happening. So, back to Ruger it goes.

hillman

Bearcat
Another update, just got the firearm back from Ruger, they had it for a total of 2 weeks. The invoice said they replaced the barrel bushing.

I'm skeptical, but I can't test it out until sometime next week. I've never had them return anything to me that wasn't 100% fixed, so I SHOULDN'T be skeptical, but I am.

cas6969

Buckeye
The barrel bushing or the barrel link?

I could see an extra tight link maybe doing it (though putting it back together might give grief), but a barrel bushing? Unless they changed because there was just something about it they didn't like.

hillman

Bearcat
Bushing. And they included the old one. They look exactly the same except the old one is a little dirtier.