Ruger sr 1911 target replace rear sight?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

walnut777

Bearcat
Ive been wanting to purchase a Ruger 1911 in 9mm. I am more fond of the 5 inch barrel. The only one I see is a target model and the Navy one thats like $1100.
I havent seen one in person. I was going to order one and have it shipped to my ffl.
How is the SR1911 Target as a carry weapon? I wondered if the rear sight could be removed and replaced with a rear sight like the one thats on the ruger 1911 4.25" model?

My carry weapon at work is my Ruger American 9mm. If I have to I will probably go with the 4.25" barrel. I just wasnt sure if the target model was designed for every day carry.

Cholo

Staff member
For years I used to hear that adj. sights would hang up on clothing, and maybe it's happened, just never to me. It looks like the dovetail is narrower for the adj. sight compared to the fixed sight model so I doubt Ruger's rear sights are interchangeable.

Just get the one you want and carry it with confidence :)

dickn52

Bearcat
There are two rear sight dovetails I'm told. Need to know if the rear is 'Novak' or not. Mine was Novak cut, but it has fixed sights and not adjustable.

walnut777

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies.
I decided to go with the sr1911 cmd.
It's been a long time coming to add a Ruger 1911 to my collection.
I'm 37 years old. When I first started shooting at 21 I purchased a Ruger P89DC. I still have that gun to this day and occasionally carry it.

I later switched to carrying the Ruger SR9. (Still own it.)
Then I started carrying the Ruger American 9mm. This is still my main carry firearm.

I've been a Ruger nut since I was a teen and seen my brother's Ruger P85.

I also own a Ruger AR556 with Ruger 2 stage trigger which is great!
Ruger American 30.06 and a stainless ruger 10-22.
I'm sure as time goes on I'll add some more Rugers to the collection.