10mm backup to SR1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have been following the thread regarding failure of the barrel link on the SR1911 10mm. I thought when I got mine awhile back and spent some time at the range with little or no issues that I had found my "forever" 10mm 1911. Before I bought the Ruger, I was lusting after a Sig P220 Elite SAO 10mm. I just couldn't dig that deep to fund one so when Ruger came out with the 10mm I was first in line to snag one.

Flash forward to now and I have had a change of heart. The combination of the recent failures of the Ruger and the sudden availability of a minty Sig at a real good price caused me to buy the Sig as a "backup" to the Ruger. Who knows though, the Ruger may be backing up the Sig! :D Haven't been to the range yet, but a side by side comparison convinces me the Sig isn't all that much larger than the Ruger.

Sig 44oz empty, Ruger 40oz. The sig is a little taller, wider, and overall length is about 3/8" more than the Ruger. The 1911 Ruger feels a "little" better in the hand but not enough to matter for me. Trigger pull on the Ruger is better than the Sig, but not by much. The big difference is that the Sig looks and feels much more robust than the Ruger.

Anyway, a fair comparison at the range will be a big factor in determining which one is my primary choice. At the very least it should be a lot of fun! :wink:

Dave

Cholo

Staff member
I remember your saga regarding the 10mm. Too bad about WAYNO's :( The Sig looks downright huge compared to the Ruger. Enjoy the shakedown! :)

dakota1911 said:
My SR1911-10 I bought last year is still great. Nice pistol.

Mine is too! :D AND, I like the Sig as well. The Sig of course is beefier and therefore very soft shooting. I think due to the beefiness the Sig may be more reliable in the long run. HOWEVER, I enjoy shooting the Ruger more. The 1911 platform is perfect for me in terms of feel and quick target acquisition. I like them both, but for different reasons..... :mrgreen:

Dave

Yawn

Blackhawk
I am waiting for the range report... especially with regards to the perception of the sig being a softer shooter. Every company has a bad run of something, but i feel that Ruger has had more than its fair share lately. What is the round count in the sig?

Yawn said:
I am waiting for the range report... especially with regards to the perception of the sig being a softer shooter. Every company has a bad run of something, but i feel that Ruger has had more than its fair share lately. What is the round count in the sig?

The fact that the Sig is a softer shooter is just that, a fact. I have proven it to myself at the range shooting full power loads out of both platforms. The Sig is pre-owned, so round count unknown, but thought to be less than 250.

robert4301

Bearcat
I have both pistols. When I first tried the Sig with full power loads, I remember thinking "That's it?" about the recoil. The Ruger has more felt recoil but I kind of like it. The duration of the recoil impulse feels less with the lighter Ruger. Bench rested accuracy is about the same with either pistol, with both doing best with heavier bullets loaded hotter. I just got a 10mm Super Redhawk. It has negligible recoil and is extremely accurate. As a fun plinker, I'm finding the SR 1911 10mm the best.

Yawn

Blackhawk
Heliman said:
Yawn said:

The fact that the Sig is a softer shooter is just that, a fact. I have proven it to myself at the range shooting full power loads out of both platforms. The Sig is pre-owned, so round count unknown, but thought to be less than 250.

Great, so you already did your fair comparison at the range. I knew people were touting the Ruger as a soft shooter, so the sig being more so seems i pressive to me. How many rounds does the sig hold?

dakota1911

Buckeye
The SR1911-10 I bought last year is still doing fine but it does have a new friend that is in competition for 10mm ammo in the form of a 10mm/40S&W convertible blackhawk.

grobin

Blackhawk
I recently got a 10mm/40 convetable Blackhawk and it's a nice soft shooter. I've a Glock 40, 10mm and it's pretty smooth as well. I've tried the little Glocks and thy are pretty rough. I've used a friends Sig and it's nice but at the time I bought the 40 out of my price range. I need to take my chrony to the range and see whaat difference there is in muzzle velocity between the Glock 40 and the Blackhawk.

Okay, after months of comparisons and lots of range time, I have decided to go with the Sig P220 Elite SAO. It is built like a tank. Function and reliability were the keys. The SR1911 just couldn't match it. That being said, I had to address the grips. My fingers are to stubby to get a good shooting grip. After talking to the hogue people I decided on a pair of G10 Extreme grips. they are significantly slimmer and offer a better purchase than the fancy rosewoods.....

Before

After

Dave

Latest posts