RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 10mm backup to SR1911
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:13 pm 
Hawkeye

I have been following the thread regarding failure of the barrel link on the SR1911 10mm. I thought when I got mine awhile back and spent some time at the range with little or no issues that I had found my "forever" 10mm 1911. Before I bought the Ruger, I was lusting after a Sig P220 Elite SAO 10mm. I just couldn't dig that deep to fund one so when Ruger came out with the 10mm I was first in line to snag one.

Flash forward to now and I have had a change of heart. The combination of the recent failures of the Ruger and the sudden availability of a minty Sig at a real good price caused me to buy the Sig as a "backup" to the Ruger. Who knows though, the Ruger may be backing up the Sig! :D Haven't been to the range yet, but a side by side comparison convinces me the Sig isn't all that much larger than the Ruger.

Sig 44oz empty, Ruger 40oz. The sig is a little taller, wider, and overall length is about 3/8" more than the Ruger. The 1911 Ruger feels a "little" better in the hand but not enough to matter for me. Trigger pull on the Ruger is better than the Sig, but not by much. The big difference is that the Sig looks and feels much more robust than the Ruger.

Anyway, a fair comparison at the range will be a big factor in determining which one is my primary choice. At the very least it should be a lot of fun! :wink:

Dave

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Mark & Jeremy's Dad (Ruby's too)
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:26 pm 
Hawkeye

I remember your saga regarding the 10mm. Too bad about WAYNO's :( The Sig looks downright huge compared to the Ruger. Enjoy the shakedown! :)

NRA Benefactor
www.GeorgiaCarry.org

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:32 pm 
Blackhawk

Both should be excellent guns.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:57 pm 
Buckeye

My SR1911-10 I bought last year is still great. Nice pistol.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:14 pm 
Hawkeye

dakota1911 wrote:
My SR1911-10 I bought last year is still great. Nice pistol.

Mine is too! :D AND, I like the Sig as well. The Sig of course is beefier and therefore very soft shooting. I think due to the beefiness the Sig may be more reliable in the long run. HOWEVER, I enjoy shooting the Ruger more. The 1911 platform is perfect for me in terms of feel and quick target acquisition. I like them both, but for different reasons..... :mrgreen:

Dave

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:36 pm 
Blackhawk

I am waiting for the range report... especially with regards to the perception of the sig being a softer shooter. Every company has a bad run of something, but i feel that Ruger has had more than its fair share lately. What is the round count in the sig?

John 3:16 is more than a sign between the goal posts!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:32 am 
Hawkeye

Yawn wrote:
I am waiting for the range report... especially with regards to the perception of the sig being a softer shooter. Every company has a bad run of something, but i feel that Ruger has had more than its fair share lately. What is the round count in the sig?

The fact that the Sig is a softer shooter is just that, a fact. I have proven it to myself at the range shooting full power loads out of both platforms. The Sig is pre-owned, so round count unknown, but thought to be less than 250.

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:53 am 
Newly Registered

I have both pistols. When I first tried the Sig with full power loads, I remember thinking "That's it?" about the recoil. The Ruger has more felt recoil but I kind of like it. The duration of the recoil impulse feels less with the lighter Ruger. Bench rested accuracy is about the same with either pistol, with both doing best with heavier bullets loaded hotter. I just got a 10mm Super Redhawk. It has negligible recoil and is extremely accurate. As a fun plinker, I'm finding the SR 1911 10mm the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:57 pm 
Blackhawk

Heliman wrote:
Yawn wrote:

The fact that the Sig is a softer shooter is just that, a fact. I have proven it to myself at the range shooting full power loads out of both platforms. The Sig is pre-owned, so round count unknown, but thought to be less than 250.

Great, so you already did your fair comparison at the range. I knew people were touting the Ruger as a soft shooter, so the sig being more so seems i pressive to me. How many rounds does the sig hold?

John 3:16 is more than a sign between the goal posts!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:58 pm 
Hawkeye

The Sig holds 8+1, same as the Ruger.

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:45 pm 
Buckeye

The SR1911-10 I bought last year is still doing fine but it does have a new friend that is in competition for 10mm ammo in the form of a 10mm/40S&W convertible blackhawk.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:29 pm 
Hawkeye

My revolver competition is a Blackhawk Buckeye 10mm/38-40. Doesn’t get as much attention though.....for now.

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:27 pm 
Blackhawk

I recently got a 10mm/40 convetable Blackhawk and it's a nice soft shooter. I've a Glock 40, 10mm and it's pretty smooth as well. I've tried the little Glocks and thy are pretty rough. I've used a friends Sig and it's nice but at the time I bought the 40 out of my price range. I need to take my chrony to the range and see whaat difference there is in muzzle velocity between the Glock 40 and the Blackhawk.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:01 pm 
Hawkeye

Okay, after months of comparisons and lots of range time, I have decided to go with the Sig P220 Elite SAO. It is built like a tank. Function and reliability were the keys. The SR1911 just couldn't match it. That being said, I had to address the grips. My fingers are to stubby to get a good shooting grip. After talking to the hogue people I decided on a pair of G10 Extreme grips. they are significantly slimmer and offer a better purchase than the fancy rosewoods.....

Before

After

Dave

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

Last edited by Heliman on Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:43 pm 
Hunter

Heliman that is beautiful!