RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:23 am 
Blackhawk

Heliman wrote:

Hopefully we can trust these nice handling accurate pistols going forward. It was a good day..... :D

Dave

The pistols MAY not be the problem... i am steadily losing trust in Ruger and how they handle things. Company trust is a big deal... (see chevys recent add campaigns, or Trumps recent possible lie troubles). I have always gone with the vendor who stands behind their product. Ruger has been sliding steeply in this aspect and so has my trust in them. And one of my main purchasing factors is product AND brand trust.

John 3:16 is more than a sign between the goal posts!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:03 am 
Hawkeye

I've shot a couple hundred more rounds, and it feeds nearly everything, with the exception of 200 grain FMJ. Still doesn't like these.

So I guess I'll just not buy any more. :?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:39 pm 
Hunter

That makes sense. I really hope you don't have any more issues. I know any of us can get a bad example of almost any product. I also know Ruger has taken care of you. I just hate to see someone have issues after they spend their hard earned money on a product.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:12 am 
Single-Sixer

Both of Wayno's malfunctions are related and the root cause is likely the same. There are possible explanations as to why it only happens with one type of ammunition, but I won't go into that here.

The top one is called a Bolt Over Base misfeed...or BOB for short. Bob is an ass. I've seen him rear his ugly head many times over the years. What is happening here is that the slide is literally outrunning the magazine as the round tries to move into feeding position. The breechface catches the case in the extractor groove instead of correctly on the backside of the rim, forcing the rear of the case down causing the bullet nose to go up. 99.9% of the time, the cause is either weak ammunition that doesn't cycle the slide fully rearward, or excessive action/recoil spring tension...the latter of which simply accelerates the slide too fast for the magazine to keep up.

The bottom one is called "Jumping the Magazine" and the mechanism is no more than Newton's !st Law governing inertia...or as I like to call it...Newton 1A. Objects at rest tend to remain at rest. As the slide starts its trip rearward, the spring compresses and the slide and frame become an action-reaction system separate from the one that set it in motion, with the spring itself acting as the vectored force between the two interacting objects.

The compressing spring is fighting to push the slide forward, and is pushing the frame backward at the same time while the cartridge is working to obey Newton and stand still...and the frame along with the magazine are literally pushed out from under the cartridge. Just as the cartridge has slipped its position in the magazine, the slide impacts the frame, jerking it suddenly backward...and the round escapes and winds up lying on top of the magazine. Under just the right circumstances, the slide will strip and chamber the round under it, and the jumper will wind up on the ground with the empty brass.

There are two approaches you can take to squashing this bug. Either drop the recoil spring rate by a couple pounds, or order an extra power magazine spring. I prefer to do both, though I've had good success with these particular misfeeds by simply going down on the recoil spring rate. I like 14 pounds for .45 Caliber pistols.

And don't be concerned with frame battering or the like. Several years ago, top end pistolsmith Ned Christiansen fired one of his 10mm pistols repeatedly with full power ammunition without a recoil spring without damage...as I have done for many years with .45s to demonstrate that it can be done without causing problems or worries about early unlock timing.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:56 am 
Blackhawk

As always, 1911Tuner, a great post on an interesting topic. You've got an entire file on my laptop with your tips on 1911's....thanks.

Wayno, et al, sorry to hear of the problems, and while I've no interest in the 10mm as a woods or CC piece, your troubles with and success or lack thereof, with Ruger's customer service make interesting reading.

I've had the company's single actions, quite a variety of them since 1966, as well as both the 5" and CMD versions of the SR1911 in .45 ACP, and been thoroughly satisfied. Both of my 1911's are comparable in accuracy and reliability to my treasured Colts from the early 70's...many with after market gunsmithing for trigger and accuracy issues. I'm a fan of all of the above and continue to regard Ruger as a first rate company that stands behind its products...albeit with some beta testing done after marketing...a practice they'd do well to discontinue.

Best Regards, Rod

Thank a Vet for your freedom of speech, religion, and the RIGHT and DUTY to keep and bear arms. Politicians, preachers, reporters, and community organizer's had nothing to do with it. You want change, then vote the bums out...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:25 pm 
Buckeye

I have had mine since last fall. It was sort of an impulse buy from a LGS that had them on sale for $729 plus I also got a Ruger shirt and hat as I recall. I told the Ruger fellow a couple extra mags would have been nicer. For full disclosure It only has little over 600 rounds through it so far as I have three other 1911s in 10mm.

I also bought the Blackhawk in 40S&W/10mm convertible and it has been fun. I did end up putting some grips I got off the shopruger web site back in 2013 or so. I initially put them on a SR1911-CMD I bought back then but old myself I would have to put them on a 10mm if Ruger ever made one.

Anyway have shot the Ruger with a variety of factory and hanloaded ammo and have reeeeely looked for a crack. Anyway just checked it over again as I shot it yesterday and still no signs of a crack. I note it does have a "R" stamped on the left side of the barrel link (as you look at the barrel from the rear left side. Hopefully that is not for reject.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:34 pm 
Buckeye

Another interesting thing in a post like this to many of us is what is the serial number of the pistol. Maybe not the exact serial number, but close. On the previous page WAYNO's looks like 672-946xx. Mine which I have not had a problem with... yet..... is close to 672-945xx. The one Hickok45 did his review on was 672-90754..........

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sear ... tion=click

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:50 am 
Hawkeye

Update, Jan 12, 2019...

As often as I think things are looking up, or as I often as I make excuses, the truth is, this gun is still giving me fits. There's just too many different loads that will not function in this gun.

I never gave it a thought initially, but apparently this gun qualifies for the Davidson's Lifetime Warranty. A local dealer has taken this gun by the horns and will attempt a replacement from Davidson's.

Wish me luck. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:44 am 
Hawkeye

Good luck! No one should have to waste that much time and ammo on a lemon.

NRA Benefactor
www.GeorgiaCarry.org

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:02 am 
Hawkeye

WAYNO wrote:
Update, Jan 12, 2019...

As often as I think things are looking up, or as I often as I make excuses, the truth is, this gun is still giving me fits. There's just too many different loads that will not function in this gun.

I never gave it a thought initially, but apparently this gun qualifies for the Davidson's Lifetime Warranty. A local dealer has taken this gun by the horns and will attempt a replacement from Davidson's.

Wish me luck. :mrgreen:

Great idea! I hope it works out! Hopefully it will be as accurate as your original. :wink:

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Mark & Jeremy's Dad (Ruby's too)
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:26 pm 
Hunter

I hope they get you taken care of. It is discouraging to spend your hard earned money on something & have it not live up to your expectations.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:33 pm 
Hawkeye

So far...In spite of the Davidson's Warranty, they resisted. It says in very large print, the firearm must be returned via the original dealer. In this case, I bought it from a rather prolific dealer right on this forum, but I could not get him to respond to my multiple requests for assistance to get this gun returned. Davidson's Warranty isn't much good if the dealer you purchased the gun from doesn't provide any service after the sale.

So...A local dealer took charge, and finally convinced Davidson's to man-up to their warranty. I don't know if it's been returned yet, but they reluctantly agreed to accept the gun from him.

The gift that keeps on giving. :mrgreen:

Last edited by WAYNO on Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:25 am 
Hawkeye

Best case scenario, you get the gun replaced and it runs like a locomotive and dines on heavy loads.... I hope for the best for you! Keep us posted!

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Mark & Jeremy's Dad (Ruby's too)
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:45 pm 
Newly Registered

Regarding stress on 1911 guns and the 10mm, Bill Wilson of Wilson
Combat wrote in 2016 "...heaven forbid 10mm...."

The 10mm is a very stressful cartridge and when Colt introduced it
in its 1911, exceedingly heavy springs were incorporated and I
remember one Colt executive being very iffy as to the gun's
life time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:36 am 
Hawkeye

Is the 10mm more punishing than the .460 Rowland to the 1911 platform?
gramps

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next