SR1911 10mm Failure...And The Final Update

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike J

Hunter
I hope they get you taken care of. It is discouraging to spend your hard earned money on something & have it not live up to your expectations.

So far...In spite of the Davidson's Warranty, they resisted. It says in very large print, the firearm must be returned via the original dealer. In this case, I bought it from a rather prolific dealer right on this forum, but I could not get him to respond to my multiple requests for assistance to get this gun returned. Davidson's Warranty isn't much good if the dealer you purchased the gun from doesn't provide any service after the sale.

So...A local dealer took charge, and finally convinced Davidson's to man-up to their warranty. I don't know if it's been returned yet, but they reluctantly agreed to accept the gun from him.

The gift that keeps on giving. :mrgreen:

UncleEd

Bearcat
Regarding stress on 1911 guns and the 10mm, Bill Wilson of Wilson
Combat wrote in 2016 "...heaven forbid 10mm...."

The 10mm is a very stressful cartridge and when Colt introduced it
in its 1911, exceedingly heavy springs were incorporated and I
remember one Colt executive being very iffy as to the gun's
life time.

The final update...

My local dealer did finally get this pistol returned to Davidson's in spite of no assistance from the original dealer. Davidson's replaced the gun with a brand-new one, which is now in my possession.

I think there is an omen here. I was not meant to have a 10mm semi auto pistol. :(

It is history. (Meaning, I sold it.)

What a disappointing ending. I also sold my SR. Also reliability and function issues. I decided to keep the Sig P220 10mm. Dead on reliable. So sorry it didn't work out for us WAYNO. Good luck to other owners of this platform. It is a neat concept....

kentuckyyeti said:
Sorry to see these endings. I wanted a 10mm Ruger one day. Now, not so much.

Don't give up. I will always say mine was the best shooting 1911 ever. I cannot for a second think they would not figure out the bugs, or isolate a batch of affected models.

Mike J

Hunter
Maybe you should sell it & use the funds to finance another 10mm from a different manufacturer. It bothers me knowing the time & money you spent to get this outcome.

cmonti77

Single-Sixer
Sell the new Ruger and get a Coonan 10mm. I don't own one, but I recently had the chance to fire one and it is really quite something.

Enigma said:
This is disappointing. I was strongly considering buying a Ruger 1911 in 10mm when I return to the states. Now, not so much.

It depends on what you intend to do with this platform or any other 1911 chambered in 10mm. If you are shooting standard pressure and slightly elevated pressure loads you will probably be okay and have no problems. Now, if you are planning on shooting the higher pressure hunting loads you may have issues. I'm not just talking about the Ruger. I had issues with Colt and Kimber offerings as well. I am just speaking from my experience. Also, several good gunsmith's I know
don't recommend the 1911 platform for these high pressure hunting loads.

After many years of searching and testing a lot of platforms for the 10mm I have settled on the Sig P220 SAO platform. It's a brute and maybe too big for many folks, but handles anything you feed it.

As I said, if you are shooting standard loads, you should enjoy the Ruger SR1911 10mm. It is very accurate and soft shooting.

WAYNO said:
The final update...

My local dealer did finally get this pistol returned to Davidson's in spite of no assistance from the original dealer. Davidson's replaced the gun with a brand-new one, which is now in my possession.

I think there is an omen here. I was not meant to have a 10mm semi auto pistol. :(

It is history.

Just followed this thread through from the beginning. What an "adventure".

So now that you have a new pistol, how are you going to treat it? If I had bought a 10mm pistol I would expect, as you did, for it to function trouble-free with any and all SAAMI full-spec ammo, not the .40S&W-like stuff.

:?

grobin

Blackhawk
What are standard loads?! I hope that you don't refer to the fake FBI sub 500Ft lbs loads!! I had a Glock 40 that I bought for competiton-didn't work out- I gave it to my sister who likes it a lot and mostly used 500Ft lbs loads with it. I did use some Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman 220 Grain Hard Cast ammo (just over 700ftlbs) without problems. I got a Ruger Blackhawk 10mm as I want to do some hand loads and as it's a lot more fun to shoot.

The lack of robustness and shootability are why I didn't consider buying a Glock 20. A friend has a Springfield Armory XD(M) and it has no issues with the Outdoorsman rounds. It's a nice pistol and fun to shoot.

Ale-8(1) said:
WAYNO said:
The final update...

So now that you have a new pistol, how are you going to treat it? If I had bought a 10mm pistol I would expect, as you did, for it to function trouble-free with any and all SAAMI full-spec ammo, not the .40S&W-like stuff.

I sold the new pistol. The new owner claims it to be trouble free.

WAYNO said:
Ale-8(1) said:
WAYNO said:
The final update...

I sold the new pistol. The new owner claims it to be trouble free.

Has he fired any "high performance" loads in it?

K. Funk

Single-Sixer
I have one sitting new in the box that I won at an NRA banquet. I better get it out and see if I have any issues with it!! I like the 10mm, I have a S&W 1006 that has functioned fine. Thanks everyone for all of the good info.

krf

mohavesam

Hawkeye
WAYNO said:
...My local dealer did finally get this pistol returned to Davidson's in spite of no assistance from the original dealer. Davidson's replaced the gun with a brand-new one, which is now in my possession.

- Which is as good an endorsement as any for buying exclusively through Davidson's. 8) 8) 8)

BTW, I printed these pages out and sent them over to the Plant Manager and a QM at Prescott. I know he read them as he called me with a few comments. (there is no such animal as "10mm+P" and engineering is looking at a relief radius cut on the lug, etc). He also endorsed Davidson's as they are vested in Ruger and report regularly on returns and replacements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts