Ruger 9mm 1911 review

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KYhunter

Bearcat
I'm interested in a 1911 in 9mm. I have a Ruger 1911 in 45 and am very pleased with it in many ways. Just hoping to learn about others experiences in 1911 in the 9 mm version and what are accurate and reliable brands. I do not plan on spending over $800 as this like most of my guns are just fun tools. The lower priced 1911's have some interest fir me. Thanks KYHUNTER

I started shooting 9mm 1911's when 22 was like unobtainioum and the cheapest thing available was Russian steel case.

I have a Rock Island Tactical 9mm, it is a fun little pea shooter. I paid right at $400 for it. My Rock does not like flat nosed ammo, but any round nose works great., including Wolf or other steel case.

I also have a Colt Govt model that will eat anything I have tried to feed it.

My STI Trojan is my absolute favorite, but that is over your budget.

Quality magazines are the key to happiness with your 9mm 1911. Wilson Combat are great, but I have also been happy with MecGar's 1911 mags at nearly half the price of WC's.

hittman

Staff member
Moved this to the 1911 section for you.

There's a number of threads on down this page with info for you.

I like mine, never had a problem with it. I have the 9mm Lightweight Commander.

Terry T

Buckeye
Took my Ruger LW 9mm 'commander' to the 4 day Front Sight course - 600 rds. in 4 days - perfect gun for me for that course - half dollar sized 5 shot groups at 20 meters!
Liked it so much that I bought a second one (had been customized with a black slide) and just picked up the 9mm 'officers' sized. :D
BTY, I have the .45 and 10mm versions of the Ruger as well. I'm closing in on 72 years so the 9mm is suiting me better at this stage of life. :shock:
Terry T

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Shop for the best price on a new one, and buy it.
Mine (an early CMD lightweight) has been trouble-free with all the brass-cased American 9mm ammo I've tried. I've added Hogue wrap-around grips to improve control, but otherwise box-stock, and it 99% dependable so far with all four Ruger mags I own.

Danno

Bearcat
I've had one for nearly a year. Great pistol...accurate and reliable with everything I've run thru it. (Haven't run steel case...but don't intend to.)

Only thing I've done is replace the factory rubber grips - nice but not very decorative - with the cocobolo eagle grips fro Ruger. http://shopruger.com/SR1911-Eaglewings-Cocobolo-Grips/productinfo/19853/

The rubber grips got repurposed to my Mk III 22/45