What I like about my SR1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I've had my SR1911 Target Model for 2 or 3 months now, and can state some conclusions about it. To go straight to the point, I like it a lot. In no particular order, here are some of the things I like best:

1. The price. About the only major manufacturer's offering that competes with it is the SA Range Officer, and it's usually about $100 more.

2. Value. You get a LOT for your money.

3. Build quality/fit and finish. No, not Dan Wesson, but really good for a <$1,000 gun.

4. Performance. It is accurate and reliable. Those two things are probably most important.

5. Trigger. Surprisingly good. Had a bit of creep and grit when new, but it has smoothed out really well with use.

I bought the Target Model for the adjustable Bomar style rear sight. I really like the sights on my gun. Also, the grips that come on the Target Model look better in person than in pictures, and provide excellent traction for gripping the gun.

Now, if it would only learn to pick up its own brass...

ditto1958

Blackhawk
And... it's waaaay better than those overpriced and overrated Kimber 1911's that are so popular. Why does anyone even buy those things? :)

whichwatch

Blackhawk
For a "factory pistol" it comes with just about all the bells and whistles a guy could want.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
I like my SR1911s, CMD and full size because they go BANG! every
time I pull the trigger. They are not ammo fussy, and
being a 1911, they are easier to clean. I can upgrade the extras
and holsters are easy to make for them. I only have 14 1911s,
6 of them are Rugers, so I guess I am partial to them.
Blackie

daveg.inkc

Hunter
whichwatch said:
For a "factory pistol" it comes with just about all the bells and whistles a guy could want.
I bought one. The only thing I would add is the checkered front grip. Not sure what you call it. Front of grip frame. Many upper end 1911's have this. I bought the Pachmayr wood/rubber grips. Problem solved for pistol slipping on recoil.

btmonnat

Single-Sixer
ditto1958 said:
And... it's waaaay better than those overpriced and overrated Kimber 1911's that are so popular. Why does anyone even buy those things? :)
You are absolutely rite. I sold my number because they had it more than me. Got more than enough out of it for the Sr 1911. Best deal for me I ever made.

The Norseman

Blackhawk
I have circa 2009 Ruger SR1911 45ACP full size, got it
right after they came out.

Slide to Frame fit was very nice and tight back then.
This Pistol is more accurate then I can shoot it. Have
a Friend that is a 1911 Master Shooter prove it to
me. He was even impressed.

I like the Ruger 1911's. I would not hesitate buying
them. No reason for me to buy any other. If someone
asks me about 1911's I steer them towards Ruger only.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
ditto1958 said:
GREAT QUESTION !!! I've been screwed royally on two Kimbers that are/were turds of the highest quality.
And so it goes...

ditto1958

Blackhawk
WIL TERRY said:
ditto1958 said:
GREAT QUESTION !!! I've been screwed royally on two Kimbers that are/were turds of the highest quality.
And so it goes...

I recently challenged a buddy at the range to hit a five inch steel swinger at 100 yards with his over-priced and over-rated Kimber. Some sort of a little carry gun in .45. He took me up on it, and nailed it on the first shot. :)

Cholo

Staff member
WIL TERRY said:
I've been screwed royally on two Kimbers that are/were turds of the highest quality.
I believe the early Kimbers were pretty good. Their Eclipse came out in '02 and I bought one in early '03. It's my only carry gun in cooler weather and is on my hip right now. It's never failed to feed anything I've stuffed in it. The new ones? LOL! That paint seems to rub right off those things. It's hard to believe their cost. No thanks!

I have 3 SR1911 .45's, though I've never shot the 5". The other 2 have been completely flawless. I love those little buggers :)

gunzo

Buckeye
A recent price check, Buds, Whitakers, Ky. Gun co., all have competitive prices on a national scale. And, an average of 4 of the cheapest buy it now prices on gunbroker.
Stainless
Novak type sights
Beavertail grip safety
Extended safety lever
Etc.

Colt $900+
Springfield Armory $800
Kimber $750
Ruger $700

We've all heard the prices that somebody's brother in laws neighbor paid, but, an unbiased search reveled what one would have to pay that day.

I spent a few hours looking these up & trying to be as fair as possible. Surprised myself, especially with reading several times a week how high priced Kimbers are. I didn't know, so I looked. The 2 tone base Kimber can easily be bought for $700, but it's not all stainless, I really did try to be fair. They all get pricey beyond the base, & that's where it really gets tough to compare apples & apples.

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
I'd been a wheeler all my life, but I bought a standard SR1911 about 2 years ago. It's a reliable shooter, for sure. Just based on my personal preference, I've made the following changes to the stock pistol:

1. Installed the Novak FO front sight. That thing really "pops" and helps me acquire target much better,

2. Changed the grips to the Ruger white grips mostly because these grips are slightly wider than the standard wooden grips. They fit my hand a bit better,

3. Had a Cylinder and Slide trigger kit installed (# CS0226). This dropped the trigger pull from 5.25 pounds to a shade under 3.5 pounds, and it eliminated the noticeable creep that was in the stock trigger.

Although I haven't received it yet, I decided to order and try out the Ingenious Gun Works barrel bushing. It may or may not improve my groups, but for the reasonable cost, I figured, why not give it a try out.

With this SR1911, I had a few failures to return to battery during the first thousand rounds or so. However, the fault could have been my own, as this is my first and only 1911, and my grip could have been limper than needed. Also, I started running the pistol quite wet with lube at about the thousand round mark.

In short, I haven't had a FTRB or FTE in the last 7 thousand rounds (I keep a round log). I've been enjoying playing with this toy for the past two years, and I shoot my own handloads exclusively...

Bayou5252