SR1911 CMD: what would you change?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GKC

Blackhawk
Edited to eliminate most of the yada yada yada.

According to an article I read, the sear, disconnector, hammer, slide stop, safety, grip safety, mainspring housing, front sight and rear sight are MIM. IF you were going to change any of these, to eliminate the MIM parts, which one(s) would you change and which parts would you replace them with?

I don't know that I will make any changes...just wondering for thinking purposes.

Cholo

Staff member
My grip panel bushings shot loose so I applied blue Loctite to them. The grip screws also shot loose so I put small O-rings under them. I was good to go after a little trigger adjustment :)

GKC

Blackhawk
Cholo said:
My grip panel bushings shot loose so I applied blue Loctite to them. The grip screws also shot loose so I put small O-rings under them. I was good to go after a little trigger adjustment :)

My trigger is just fine, out of the box. One of the best triggers I've had, out of the 22 1911s I've owned. I am using Challis O-rings and grip screws...but still using the standard bushings. No problems with them yet.

DGW1949

Hunter
Just speaking for myself, I don't 'do' MIM hammers, sears, safeties, sights, or action parts, nor do I have any use for a beavertail (of any kind), so all of that would have to go right off the bat...which to me, prompts the question...
If I didn't like (or had concerns about) how it was made, why would I buy it to start with?

DGW

GKC

Blackhawk
DGW1949 said:
If I didn't like (or had concerns about) how it was made, why would I buy it to start with?

I don't have concerns about how it was made, and MIM parts don't bother me. I think the SR1911 is a great pistol, and I recognize that certain compromises had to be made to keep the price point where it is. Although, there are other more expensive pistols that also use MIM parts (Kimber is one, for example.)

I bought the SR1911 CMD because I like Ruger products, I've owned them before, they have great service, and it was in my price range. It came with the features I most like and want in a 1911: beaver tail, rowell hammer, and series 70 action. It looks good too.

I don't know that I will ever have any problems with it...I'm not a high volume shooter, and Ruger will fix anything that breaks, if it ever does. My question is more along the line of, "If I was going to replace parts over time, what ones should I consider?" I realize that if I ever did this, I'd end up having more invested in this gun than it would bring at resale, but I'm not planning to sell it.

I may not do anything, other than just shoot it...spend my money on ammo instead of parts that might not need to be changed anyway. I was just wondering about opinions on the MIM parts.

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
The only thing I would change has nothing to do with MIM. Just personal preference, I would swap in a standard thumb safety in place of the extended version it has.

GKC

Blackhawk
bnewberry said:
The only thing I would change has nothing to do with MIM. Just personal preference, I would swap in a standard thumb safety in place of the extended version it has.

Agree! I finally found a Colt GI thumb safety, and will have a local gun smith install it after the 1st. (They are closed for the holidays, and moving to a new location to boot...so, I am impatiently waiting.) I don't have any problem with the OEM thumb safety...not quite as positive a click on and off as I'd like...but the change to the GI thumb safety is mainly aesthetics for me. I also ordered a new plunger and spring, and have it put in at the same time.

Still thinking about putting in a new slide stop lever.

dickn52

Bearcat
Today I picked up my CMD 6711 model. Range time this weekend to break in the spring and stuff :) Gotta find the load for it. My 5" likes the 230 RN at 900 FPS, so will go with that as a start. I have RN 200's and 185 JHP that I can try too. So, multiple rounds, Labradar and off we go.

GKC

Blackhawk
dickn52 said:
Today I picked up my CMD 672-5 model. Range time this weekend to break in the spring and stuff :) Gotta find the load for it. My 5" likes the 230 RN at 900 FPS, so will go with that as a start. I have RN 200's and 185 JHP that I can try too. So, multiple rounds, Labradar and off we go.

I've only put 230 FMJ in my CMD...I do have some Hornady CD 185gr flex tip that I use for carry in my Shield 45. Haven't tried it in my CMD mainly because of the expense, and need to save it for my carry gun.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I only changed the grips to easily ID it from my shooting buddies. These are very popular down here in the SW. It may be the made in Prescott thing. I bought mine in Jan 2013 and it has been great so far.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Mine's been good to go from day one. The only thing I'd add or change is the installation of tritium night sights and a checkered front strap. Rod

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
The only thing I'm willing to change on a 1911 are the grip panels.
I happen to like Hogue #45090 with the palm swell.

Other than that, if it needs something changed, it will be the owner.
I buy what I want . . . to start with.
I don't change caliber.
I don't change safety levers.
I don't change sights (unless the "night" portion has gone dim).
I buy what I want . . . to start with. :roll:

hittman

Staff member
A9OneYM.jpg

No changes planned here.