SR1911 CMD: what would you change?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GKC

Blackhawk
ditto1958 said:
I'd change the price. Make it about $399.

If Ruger did that, then some people would complain saying it couldn't be a good gun because it was so cheap! :roll:

As it stands now, the only thing I have changed on my CMD is the thumb safety...found and had installed a Colt GI model thumb safety. Had the plunger spring replaced while the gun smith was doing it. BTW, the thumb safety dropped right in, no fitting required...so I probably could have done that myself. I also have changed the grips. I don't plan any more changes...maybe a gold bead front sight, but not decided on that yet.

Thel

Blackhawk
Things I would like to see are bobtail m/s housing, checkered front strap (25 or 30 lpi), ambi safety and maybe a flat top slide. Ruger could come out with a delux version with some of this as Kimber can crank out checkered front strap pistols at a reasonable price. Doing post purchase for the checkering, bobtail and reanodizing one would be looking at $600+ so would be worth $300 to me to have Ruger do it. The MIM parts, if replaced, can added by the user at a lot less cost if the desire. If I was worried about the MIM the first one I would replace would be the slide stop with a Wilson Bullet Proof one.

gunzo

Hunter
These days there are so many 1911 offerings that if a potential owner had plans to change much, they probably should seek another model or brand. Chances are a pistol that doesn't need changes is available.

But come to think of it, there are 2 things on the gun that every 1911 shooter should know about whether the gun is a base model or high end ; trigger length & mainspring housing style. Those are personal, just as hand size or how the individual grips the gun is. Beginning in 1924, there were 2 different length triggers & 2 styles of mainspring housings available. Beginning sometime in or about the 70's, several more options became available.

Trying guns with different triggers & housings may allow you to come up with something that fits really well instead of just so, so.

Thel

Blackhawk
"These days there are so many 1911 offerings that if a potential owner had plans to change much, they probably should seek another model or brand. " - gunzo

That is what I am concluding if one wanted checkering, bobtail and no MIM. If I was going to get a 1911 Commander 9mm the Dan Wesson Guardian is hundreds of dollars cheaper than modifying a lower end gun such as a Ruger or even a Kimber.