Choices..so many

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dickn52

Bearcat
Ok, since buying back into the 1911 thing, I am falling in love again with the simplicity of everything about them. I went away looking for smaller, lighter, more concealable etc etc... But I figured what the heck. I want every bad guy in town to have that niggle question of 'does he doesn't he' when they scan me. I currently carry a Kahr PM45 when I go armed. But I'm thinking I want a LTWT model 1911 with 3.5 barrel or so. So, staying within the 1911 workings, what are the suggestions for a nice shooting, concealable 45 and trying to stay in the 500-800 range. NO Kimbers as I don't like them. Another long story. Thanks everyone.

DGW1949

Hunter
I can't help much with the "3.5 barrel or so" aspect because I've never owned or carried one. I have however, carried a lot of "1911's" over the years. What I found was that be it a full length 'Government Model' or the shorter 'Commander Model(s)', it wasn't the barrel/slide that was hard to hide, it was everything located back of the trigger guard. The point there being that other than the alloy-framed 'Commander' being lighter and having a less obtrusive hammer and grip safety, there wasn't really any difference in 'portability' between any of them.

That being said though, given the shorter grip frame and mag on the latest 'shorty' versions, I can see where one of those might be better for hiding on one's person...so...if that was my over riding criteria, I'd do some research on which ones are backed by the best customer service and go from there.

Hope something here helped.

DGW

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
DE1911C

Desert Eagle Compact. Fit right in your price range and if you find one
like the DE1911G that I have, you will be IMPRESSED!
http://www.magnumresearch.com/firearms/magnum-research-desert-eagle-1911-c-model.asp

My G model has yet to fail, smooth as all get-out, accurate . . . what more
can you say?
(WELL, some complain about the bill-board on the slide, but are you
going to just look at it, or shoot it?)

P.S. Bud's has them for $650.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
We can go back and forth on the 1911 .45acp platform vs. other calibers till the cows come home.

I started shooting GI 1911A1's about 60 years ago, when my father brought one home to teach me on, and later carried one during my USMC career. I won't rag on the gun or the caliber, but there are a couple things to consider besides carry comfort if you go with a lightweight. Recoil, what SD ammo you plan to feed it (hopefully not standard ball), and given the recent uptick in bad guys traveling in packs of 2, 3 or more, will 7 or 8 rounds be enough. You might be better off with a double stack 9mm.

Regardless of caliber, a modern SD cartridge designed for short barrels (muzzle flash, terminal ballistics, recoil, etc.) are also part of the equation. Your call, but imho you should consider these and other factors besides comfort. :)

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
dickn52 said:
Ok, since buying back into the 1911 thing, I am falling in love again with the simplicity of everything about them. I went away looking for smaller, lighter, more concealable etc etc... But I figured what the heck. I want every bad guy in town to have that niggle question of 'does he doesn't he' when they scan me. I currently carry a Kahr PM45 when I go armed. But I'm thinking I want a LTWT model 1911 with 3.5 barrel or so. So, staying within the 1911 workings, what are the suggestions for a nice shooting, concealable 45 and trying to stay in the 500-800 range. NO Kimbers as I don't like them. Another long story. Thanks everyone.

dickn522,
I am 83 years old, and I carry an RIA 9MM HiCap 1911. I love it!
I wear a short sleeved shirt (XL) in the summer, untucked, and in the winter
whatever keeps me warm. The gun does not print, and I give a hoot about the weight.
What thug expects an 83 year old fart to be carrying a honkin' big 1911?
(Thank you 2nd amendment)
The latest 9MM ammo is just as effective as the .45 offerings. I Use Ruger ARX
ammo and it has positive reviews. It is +P.
I own 6 RIA 1911s, all shoot well, and they were reasonably priced.
I also do not like Kimber, as they try to make "expensive" the new in thing.
Blackie

dickn52

Bearcat
Love this place. So many great 'suggestions'. BUT I decided to stick with Ruger. Bought a Commander .45, (That's what I reload so why not right). Anyway, tell me if I'm wrong, but are the grips the same size as a 'standard' and the magazines too?

ditto1958

Blackhawk
dickn52 said:
Love this place. So many great 'suggestions'. BUT I decided to stick with Ruger. Bought a Commander .45, (That's what I reload so why not right). Anyway, tell me if I'm wrong, but are the grips the same size as a 'standard' and the magazines too?

Yup. A commander-size 1911 has a shorter slide and barrel, but a full size grip that uses standard magazines.

grobin

Blackhawk
Checkout the Springfield armory XD-E, VERRY GOOD. Single stack but easy for conciled carry.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
dickn52 said:

dickn52

Bearcat
Amazed. I posed these questions to Ruger via their contact form. A young sounding lady called me instead of 'emailing' which I thought was nice. Answered everything. But what company other than Ruger would call me to answer my blind questions about a product? I was floored. Like their personal contact model.

Cholo

Staff member
dickn52 said:
Anyway, tell me if I'm wrong, but are the grips the same size as a 'standard' and the magazines too?
The magazines are the same. The grips are the same width and height, but the LW CMD has thinner grips.