What I don't like about my SR1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Geronimo Jim said:
You have to pick up the brass. Other than that, it is the bomb.

Hmmm.... yeah, that's a bummer. I can see how you are probably so annoyed that you're ready to just dump the gun. I will PM you the info on the LGS near me that will handle the transfer for you. I will be happy to relieve you of your burden.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
My RO throws them all over the place. I have to walk all over the range to get all those pesky cases. Fortunately, other folks shooting 1911s at the range tend to add to the empty cases I leave with.

Let's not get started on those darn small primer .45 cases.

Mike J

Hunter
I don't reload so it isn't an issue for me. I like my SR 1911. When I first got it there was a tendency for it to hit me in the head with an ejected case occasionally. I removed the extractor & adjusted it. Now it slings them about 8 feet behind me to my right.

Srb08

Single-Sixer
My grand kids are good brass hounds. To them it's like an Easter egg hunt. When the range is clean, everyone gets a root beer float.
If I'm shooting on a range, other than mine, I leave the brass lay.
Searching for brass takes a lot of the fun out of shooting.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
It helps keep me busy while Clovispup shoots. Otherwise I expend too much ammo at the range. We usually go through about 250 - 300 rounds of centerfire, plus another hundred of rimfire. And we go most every week. Gets expensive.

Tom-R2

Bearcat
The range is one of the few places where I don't mind other adults not picking up after themselves. I almost always bring home far more cases than I shoot. I brought home 600+ 223/556 the other day, along with about 60 45ACP, 300+ 9mm, and I was shooting my 40S&W and 357Sig.

tunnug

Single-Sixer
My 10mm SR sends them a county over, I reload and have been loosing 2-3 cases at every outing, I've copied a catcher I saw on youtube but have not tested it, should work, it's an open frame 20"X24" with a sock-like net, it all is held up by a tripod to adjust height.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
My SR1911 not only groups well out of the front end it throws a pretty dang good group out the tail end with the brass. I can usually squat down in one spot, about 2' right and 2' behind and pick up all of the brass.

dickn52

Bearcat
At my range the 'brass whores' jump on the things before the second bounce. I only reload them twice so I say nothing. :lol:

dickn52

Bearcat
Mike J said:
Pat-inCO said:
Mike J said:
Now it slings them about 8 feet behind me to my right.
Sounds like your recoil spring is getting weak.
Stretch it a tad and see what happens.

I will try that
+1. Always counter intuitive though. Weaker the spring the further it flies. My Beretta clay guns, same thing I replaced the spring when the hulls started going further than 5-8 feet.

toysoldier

Hunter
Tom-R2 said:
The range is one of the few places where I don't mind other adults not picking up after themselves. I almost always bring home far more cases than I shoot. I brought home 600+ 223/556 the other day, along with about 60 45ACP, 300+ 9mm, and I was shooting my 40S&W and 357Sig.

Me too. I've brought home so much 9mm brass that I bought reloading dies I found at a flea market. Now, I just need to buy a pistol. :lol:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
toysoldier said:
Tom-R2 said:

Me too. I've brought home so much 9mm brass that I bought reloading dies I found at a flea market. Now, I just need to buy a pistol. :lol:

Seems reasonable to me.

Thel

Blackhawk
Years ago some firm made a brass catcher that looked like a sacket net that one could adjust up or down that was about 24" square so it would be positioned next to the ejection port. They were advertised is some magazine and I haven't seen them in years. The net was held by aluminum tubing which could be adjusted up or down. That would seem to be the way to go to me. Dillon does have a brass retriever gadget one rolls over the ground that picks up the cases so you don't need to bend over or crawl around.

GKC

Blackhawk
Well...in the movie "Mr. Brooks" he zip tied a plastic bag around his pistol, secured to his wrist, so he wouldn't leave the brass behind when he killed people. You could always try that... :lol:

Latest posts