What a joy to shoot

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dickn52

Bearcat
Took the 1911 5" to the range this morning. With my 230 gn/900 FPS loads I was hitting a 6" gong at 50 yards fairly consistently. It either shoots straight or I am the reincarnation of Annie Oakley. Hitting those gongs was like music to my ears. I am so keeping this one.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
dickn52 said:
Took the 1911 5" to the range this morning. With my 230 gn/900 FPS loads I was hitting a 6" gong at 50 yards fairly consistently. It either shoots straight or I am the reincarnation of Annie Oakley. Hitting those gongs was like music to my ears. I am so keeping this one.

Dickn52
Sounds like you had fun. I get the same results with my 1911.
Blackie

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Clovispup and I both really have a great time with our SA RO 1911. We've been playing the Battleship target game using it the last couple range trips and having a lot of fun. Great to be able to spend quality time with your daughter doing something you both enjoy.

We don't get to the outdoor rang very often, but I've considered putting a gong together for one of the trips. Those hardened steel gongs are pricey though.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
dickn52 said:
I know, but everyone at my range shoots the 9mm PEW gun.

Well... dare to be different. And hey- it's easy to pick up your brass when everyone else is shooting that cute little stuff. :)

Mus408

Hunter
Really enjoy mine as it's a very good straight shooter in .45 ACP and does make those 50 yd. shots look easy!
https://youtu.be/nP_bTWK1Qcc

dickn52

Bearcat
Ok, just got back from the range. (74* F today) I ran the 5" and 4.25" LWC through my lab radar. Using both guns with the same loads they were off by about 65 FPS or so. To be expected. BUT the LWC was every bit as accurate as the 5" standard model. I was dropping 6 and 8" plates at the 50 yard line without a problem. I like them both, but even though we are talking .75 inch smaller, the LWC will be my carry gun now that I got rid of the Kahr PM45. I'll amp the loads by .2 grains and bring them to 810 or so. Still under the max load for that cartridge.

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
Haven't tried steel @ 50 yards with my SR1911 - but I have shot 12" steel plates @100 yards with it, off bench.

And yes, it's a thrill to hear that "bong" sound. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't happen with frequency, though...

dieter9mm

Bearcat
Clovishound said:
Clovispup and I both really have a great time with our SA RO 1911. We've been playing the Battleship target game using it the last couple range trips and having a lot of fun. Great to be able to spend quality time with your daughter doing something you both enjoy.

We don't get to the outdoor rang very often, but I've considered putting a gong together for one of the trips. Those hardened steel gongs are pricey though.

If there's a metalworking shop in your neck of the woods, you might try them for AR500 steel. I bought 4-12 inch and 4-8 inch squares with 1/2 inch holes cut through them for about $100. Add some chain and bolts to hang with from HomeDepot, and you're set. I hang mine from hooks in dead trees or from those shepherd's crook metal poles for hanging plants driven into the ground.