3 inch barreled 1911's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

whichwatch

Blackhawk
I currently carry my SR1911 Commander sized .45, it is all steel. I love the gun but it is heavy. Been considering getting a smaller, lighter 1911, looking at Kimber currently. I have heard that the 3" 1911's may not eject the spent shell reliably due to the short slide. Anyone here have experience with this or comments and opinions one way or the other. After Sunday's incident at Costco which is very, very close to my house I'v given up on part time carry and now carry all the time, everywhere. I'm considering getting my CCW, it's not needed in KS to conceal carry but if you want to cross state line it is. I was actually at Sam's club the other night and the greeter noticed "something" under my jacket, he asked me if I was carrying a guy, I reluctantly said yes after hesitating for a few seconds and he profusely thanked me. He said everyone working there was afraid some one would come in and start shooting. Ironically it happened at Costco a few days later and only a couple hundred yards down the street. If I hear gunfire I'm going to run and take cover just like everyone else but if a shooter starts walking around looking for people in closets, bathrooms, under tables and other places he will get an unexpected welcome from a .45

Terry T

Buckeye
I keep hoping Ruger will bring out a 3" 1911.
I hear they have some new 'stuff' in the pipeline but I don't know if a 3" is coming. :shock:
Terry T

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
whichwatch said:
I currently carry my SR1911 Commander sized .45, it is all steel. I love the gun but it is heavy. Been considering getting a smaller, lighter 1911, looking at Kimber currently. I have heard that the 3" 1911's may not eject the spent shell reliably due to the short slide. Anyone here have experience with this or comments and opinions one way or the other. After Sunday's incident at Costco which is very, very close to my house I'v given up on part time carry and now carry all the time, everywhere. I'm considering getting my CCW, it's not needed in KS to conceal carry but if you want to cross state line it is. I was actually at Sam's club the other night and the greeter noticed "something" under my jacket, he asked me if I was carrying a guy, I reluctantly said yes after hesitating for a few seconds and he profusely thanked me. He said everyone working there was afraid some one would come in and start shooting. Ironically it happened at Costco a few days later and only a couple hundred yards down the street. If I hear gunfire I'm going to run and take cover just like everyone else but if a shooter starts walking around looking for people in closets, bathrooms, under tables and other places he will get an unexpected welcome from a .45

Whichwatch,
If i found myself in that situation, I would "Hide in place" and wait for a shot. If some
loony is shooting people for no reason, I have no qualms about taking a back shot.
Blackie

Cholo

Staff member
In cooler weather I carry an original all steel 3" Kimber Eclipse Ultra ll .45. It has never failed me. I'll reserve comment on the newer Kimbers. A 3" lightweight Ruger might get my attention, but I doubt it. In a quality holster on a quality 1 3/4" belt I don't even know it's there. YMMV...

reloader

Single-Sixer
I've Had a Kimber Ultra Carry II from when they first came out. Not sure how many rounds I've put through it, have lost count. It's never jammed or had any kind of problems. It's a surprisingly accurate and fun gun to shoot.

Tenbore

Single-Sixer
reloader said:
I've Had a Kimber Ultra Carry II from when they first came out. Not sure how many rounds I've put through it, have lost count. It's never jammed or had any kind of problems. It's a surprisingly accurate and fun gun to shoot.

I too have a Kimber Ultra Carry II and it has been completely reliable with all ammo I've put through it.

GKC

Blackhawk
If you are willing to consider something other than a 1911, check out the S&W Shield 45. I have one, and I really like it. It's very reliable and carries well. It has a 3.3" barrel, and comes with a 6 round and a 7 round magazine. I personally like the 6 round magazines with Pearce extensions on them...they don't add a round, but do provide a good grip with a place for my pinky finger.

I do have a SR1911 CMD, but I don't carry it...it's just to heavy to be comfortable for me. That's why I have my Shield 45, which works out well for me. I have owned other compact 1911s, including a Colt Defender and a RIA Compact with 3" barrels. I would still choose the Shield over them, for carry. The Shield 45 also has the new grip texture and the better trigger that is now available on the M&P 2.0 models.

whichwatch

Blackhawk
reloader said:

Good to hear you've had no reliability issues. I REALLY want a Kimber, or other 3" .45, would make concealed carry so much easier/comfortable. Love my Commander but as I mentioned it is somewhat heavy. If it were ever had to be put to use I suppose that becomes a distant afterthought anyway. I just don't want to part with the cash difference required for a trade this close to Christmas. May wait until spring as I am in no hurry. Personally, I think Ruger is missing the boat by not offering a 3"

Snake45

Hawkeye
I experimented with "shorty" 1911s some years ago, and came to the conclusion that Colt knew what they were doing when they chopped the Commander to 4 1/4". Anything shorter and reliability starts declining.

Now I understand that better people than me have made great advances in this area in the last 20 or so years, but still, I have a hard time shaking my bias.

4 1/4" (or 5") barrels on my 1911s, please. If you want lighter, go to an aluminum frame. If you want smaller, go to the Officers length butt. My son has a Kimber with short butt and Commander-length top half and it's pretty sweet. It's a steel frame. Does someone make such a gun with an aluminum or plastic frame yet? I don't know. There are so many 1911s being made these days that I find it impossible to keep up.

s4s4u

Hunter
Snake45 said:
I experimented with "shorty" 1911s some years ago, and came to the conclusion that Colt knew what they were doing when they chopped the Commander to 4 1/4". Anything shorter and reliability starts declining.

Now I understand that better people than me have made great advances in this area in the last 20 or so years, but still, I have a hard time shaking my bias.

4 1/4" (or 5") barrels on my 1911s, please. If you want lighter, go to an aluminum frame. If you want smaller, go to the Officers length butt. My son has a Kimber with short butt and Commander-length top half and it's pretty sweet. It's a steel frame. Does someone make such a gun with an aluminum or plastic frame yet? I don't know. There are so many 1911s being made these days that I find it impossible to keep up.

I agree. Ruger, please, a lightweight CCO.......

I'm an unabashed 1911A1 fan. Tend to get that way when a design keeps you around.

That said, I've tried the short barreled 1911A1's and found them wanting. I think the reliability issues has to do with the speed. I found mine worked more or less with sedate rounds, but if you increased the velocity of the round failures became pretty common. It just wasn't worth it to try and find a round that would be only "somewhat" reliable.

Interestingly, my AMT Backup is very reliable with a wide range of bullet weights and velocities. I know lots of folks had reliability issues, but I think they just never put in the time to properly break them in. It isn't a pleasant handgun to fire, especially for any extended time. If I could find another for a reasonable price I'd buy it.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
I am 83 years old. I carry an SR1911 .45 ACP 1911. My backup is my LC9s.
I some times carry my Hi-cap 9MM 1911. I feel the weight of the gun and
it gives me confidence that if something goes FUBAR, I have a fighting chance
for me and mine. My wife is 79 and carries an LC380 with CT.
Blackie

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
reloader said:
I've Had a Kimber Ultra Carry II from when they first came out. Not
sure how many rounds I've put through it, have lost count. It's never
jammed or had any kind of problems. It's a surprisingly accurate and
fun gun to shoot.
Amazing how many of us can say that. 8)

I've run everything from 230Gr ball to +P loads, including one hand load
that produces 1000fps out of a five inch barrel. As with reloader, ZERO
problems or failures.

The one thing to keep in mind is that a 4" is about 75fps slower than a
5", and a 3" is about 75fps slower than a 4" (150fps slower than a 5").

I chrono'd commercial loads and my hand load; receiving the above
velocity data.

Keep her clean and lubed and I'll bet you experience the same thing. :D

I have a Para Ordnance Expert Carry (3" barrel, full size grip) and it shoots great. I have not had any failures to feed or eject. I'm quite happy with it and since I'm kinda big (6'3", 250 lbs) I can conceal it even with the large grip. I have no qualms about carrying it for defensive purposes. If Ruger came out with one I'd probably consider it.

mikewriter

Blackhawk
I also have a Para Expert with 3" barrel, and am pleased with it. AND, I have an AMT Backup .45 that I maybe like even better. Have an AMT Backup .380 I like a lot, too. Down to only the one 1911 right now, need another!

Mike Holmes

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Not sure how the OP turned into a 380ACP AMT, but... I have had an AMT Backup II for a couple decades and it runs great. One has to learn how to keep it clean and use proper lube on the 17-4PH steel, but I bought my first AMT Backup 380 in the 'early 80s and never had a problem.

To the OP, I've always figured the 4.25" Commander-type is the only 1911 pattern that makes sense outside playing ARMY. If you have a Commander, why have a 3" or even a 5" ?

Sugar River

Buckeye
I have 2 Kimber Ultra CDP's from 2001, the original without the FP safety. The one I use has never hiccuped, not once.
I usually carry it in high risk areas, which around here means Miami.

That said, the DW CCO 45 and Guardian in 38 Super are much easier to shoot well and give up little in concealability.

mikewriter said:
I also have a Para Expert with 3" barrel, and am pleased with it. AND, I have an AMT Backup .45 that I maybe like even better. Have an AMT Backup .380 I like a lot, too. Down to only the one 1911 right now, need another!

Mike Holmes

Single action or double action .380. The first AMT I bought was a SA, still carry it from time to time as a back up to the .45 acp.

mohavesam said:
Not sure how the OP turned into a 380ACP AMT, but... I have had an AMT Backup II for a couple decades and it runs great. One has to learn how to keep it clean and use proper lube on the 17-4PH steel, but I bought my first AMT Backup 380 in the 'early 80s and never had a problem.

To the OP, I've always figured the 4.25" Commander-type is the only 1911 pattern that makes sense outside playing ARMY. If you have a Commander, why have a 3" or even a 5" ?

Blame me for the thread drift. I just stated my Backup was more reliable than any of the 3" 1911's I've tried.

Terry T

Buckeye
I do think that when Ruger brings out their 3" 1911, it will be reliable.
It's not 'rocket science' and other companies have figured it out. :D
Terry T