3 inch barreled 1911's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
To be clear: I carry a 3" because it works and I already have it, but I'd never recommend one over a 4 to 4 1/4". Barrel length is easy to conceal. It's the length of the grip that takes some thought.

I'd get a light weight Commander size 1911 if I didn't have this fine 3" Eclipse. If a LW CMD 1911 is too heavy for you, really harsh language might just be the ticket :mrgreen:

whichwatch

Blackhawk
Cholo said:
To be clear: I carry a 3" because it works and I already have it, but I'd never recommend one over a 4 to 4 1/4". Barrel length is easy to conceal. It's the length of the grip that takes some thought.

I'd get a light weight Commander size 1911 if I didn't have this fine 3" Eclipse. If a LW CMD 1911 is too heavy for you, really harsh language might just be the ticket :mrgreen:

I've been carrying my all steel Commander every day, even at the office and the weight is bothering me less and less every day. Yes. I can feel the weight but it is not as bothersome as it was a week ago, it's "just there". I probably wouldn't (couldn't) wear it with dress clothes or a suit but with jeans it is getting better. I found a Galco paddle holster for it since I don't use a belt with jeans, not my first choice but it works for now. There's better paddle holsters out there and I'll keep looking. I just can't do an IWB type holster. There for a while I thought I may have to resort to harsh language.

Psb1911

Single-Sixer
I carry a Desert Eagle 1911U daily. About 2000 rounds through it currently without a problem.

Iggy

Bearcat
I carried Govt and CCO model 10mms for years, but when I retired from ranching and moved to town, I went to the Colt Defender in 45 ACP.. 10's were just too much horsepower for in town living.

I have had no problems at all with my 3" Colt. It is lighter than the all steel 10s too.

eveled

Hawkeye
I went through the same thing. Realized Commander lenght was short enough. I ended up with two lightweight s&w 1911pd commanders.

Groo

Bearcat
Groo here
I have a 3 1/2 officers and a 3 in compact and have found no problems,,,BUT...
As the barrel gets shorter the bullet speeds go down, therefore , the more likely I will use
mil-spec 230 gr fmj.
I am old enough to remember when your auto TOLD YOU what load IT wanted and that is what you used.
Or you spent much money with a very good smith to make it feed ONE make of hp.
If you want the gun to run correctly, the shorter the barrel , the closer to original load you need to get...

dakota1911

Buckeye
Now Ruger has the 3.6 inch in 9mm and the thought among many is it may soon exist in a 45ACP model.

On the other hand I carried a Ruger Defender in 45ACP for years and these days have gone to a Colt/Talo Clapp Commander with the Aluminum alloy frame. Also have a Ruger SR1911CMD-LW and it is a very nice pistol and you might look at that.

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
Cholo said:

I've been carrying my Ruger LW Commander for a while now, no weight issues for me. Depending on what I'm wearing my LC9 (orig) is a dependable alternative.

hittman

Staff member
Good for you Cholo! I really enjoy shooting mine and I'm really NOT a "semi auto guy" at all. But it's light weight, points and shoots perfectly and functions flawlessly. I should maybe even look for a 3rd mag some time soon.

Cholo

Staff member
hittman said:
Good for you Cholo! I really enjoy shooting mine and I'm really NOT a "semi auto guy" at all. But it's light weight, points and shoots perfectly and functions flawlessly. I should maybe even look for a 3rd mag some time soon.
Mine's the .45 version. It only weighs 2oz. less than my all steel Kimber. The magazines both hold 7 rds., but the Kimber has a shorter grip.

I kinda like all my 1911's :)