Grips for ambi safety SR1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Does anyone sell grips that are already modified to fit an SR1911 with an ambi safety? Ruger doesn't seem to have them on their website. While it likely is not hard to modify a grip, I would prefer not to buy brand new grips and then have to carve away on them to make them fit.

cas6969

Buckeye
Unless there's something unusual about the ambi safety Ruger uses, I believe most grip makers offer ambi cut versions of their grips.

dickn52

Bearcat
https://www.amazon.com/1911-ambi-safety/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A1911%20ambi%20safety ebay to the rescue again.

Hipshot

Single-Sixer
Not sure exactly what your problem may be. We could possibly use more info but I will tell you this; I installed a Ruger ambi safety on my SR1911 and did not have to do any modification to the grips.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
The one that Ruger puts on the SR1911 Target has a tab that goes under the grip. The tab actually uses the grip to keep the ambi safety from falling off. The grip has to have a little bit of material cut out of it for the tab to fit.

Thel

Blackhawk
You might check Hogue and Esmeralda. Also, I seem to recall there is at least one mfr. of ambi safeties that does not have a tab on the right side safety, just forgot who it is but looking at Brownell's should turn up the mfr.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Ruger uses the standard ambi cut that most use such as Colt, SA, Remington. Kimber and EGW are the ones that I know of that are rather unique as they use Pin retention. You need to check the lever fit and may need to releave the grip if there is binding.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I have since done some shopping for grips. Yes, Ruger does use an ambi safety that works with the "standard" ambi safety relief cut, and yes, quite a few grip makers offer their grips with an ambi safety cut. But what about Ruger? At Shopruger.com, all their 1911 grips state they don't work with an ambi safety.