I wanna buy a Ruger, but...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Ever since the SR1911 was introduced, I've thought I wanted one. I like the way the look, the features, the price... But- I've handled quite a few of them in stores, and I don't know that I've ever found one that had a trigger that I liked. They don't have "bad" triggers. No, not even close to bad. But just not the clean, crisp breaking trigger I would like.

I was doing some window shopping today, and tried out a few other 1911's. A Kimber Custom TLE II had a REALLY good trigger- but for just under $1,000. In the SR1911's price range, a Springfield Range Officer was on sale. I tried the trigger, and it was almost (but not quite) as good as the one on the Kimber.

As much as I would like to get a Ruger 1911, for just a little bit more the RO seems better. If I were to buy the Ruger, I think I'd have to do something with the trigger. Not sure what, but something.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I have several SR1911s and can't complain about any of them, BUT I treat them like a used pistol. I would not buy one sight unseen as in ordering it. I recently bought one of the newer SR1911-10s. A LGS had them on sale for $729. I got to look at the one in the case and two they had in the back room before I bought one and it is nice.

Back in 2014 I bought a CMD Night Watchman. I remember they had a 5 inch Night Watchman right next to it in the display case. The fit and finish on CMD was great and the 5 inch was not so good. I would not have bought the 5 inch if I wanted one of those.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
ditto1958 said:
Ever since the SR1911 was introduced, I've thought I wanted one. I like the way the look, the features, the price... But- I've handled quite a few of them in stores, and I don't know that I've ever found one that had a trigger that I liked. They don't have "bad" triggers. No, not even close to bad. But just not the clean, crisp breaking trigger I would like.

I was doing some window shopping today, and tried out a few other 1911's. A Kimber Custom TLE II had a REALLY good trigger- but for just under $1,000. In the SR1911's price range, a Springfield Range Officer was on sale. I tried the trigger, and it was almost (but not quite) as good as the one on the Kimber.

As much as I would like to get a Ruger 1911, for just a little bit more the RO seems better. If I were to buy the Ruger, I think I'd have to do something with the trigger. Not sure what, but something.

Ditto,
Buy the SR, send it back to Ruger and tell them to fix the trigger. Ruger is easy to get along with.
I have three of them, also gave one to a LEO friend of mine, and one to my Grandson for carry on the job,
and my wife's son who shoots for fun. They all are excellent shooters, and no trigger problems.
Blackie

Blackie

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
ditto1958 said:
If I were to buy the Ruger, I think I'd have to do something with
the trigger. Not sure what, but something.
I have read in several places and heard from multiple sources that you
can dry-fire a 1911 until the cows come home and not harm the gun.
Since (at the time) my only 1911 was a Kimber, and I was reluctant to
test that "no harm done" on a $1,400 gun, I bought a $400 1911 made
in the Philippines.

I proceeded to dry-fire the new one, and dry-fire, and dry-fire. By about
eight thousand cycles, the trigger was as smooth as the Kimber.

Cost is negligible, and if it doesn't drive your wife crazy, also helps get
rid of any flinch you may or may not have. 8)

Mike J

Hunter
I realize this is a Ruger forum. I also own & like a SR 1911. But my opinion is if you can't find a SR 1911 you like find something you do like & buy it. I like Rugers & I respect the company but they aren't the only game in town & if there is something you like more I would say go for it. Buy once-cry once.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Cholo

Staff member
I have 2 SR1911's, one a 5" and the other a 4 1/4" CMD. The CMD trigger is to die for and breaks like a thin glass rod at under 4#'s. The 5" also has an amazing trigger, though it hasn't been shot yet, that breaks like a thin glass rod at just under 5#'s. Both are better than my Jan. '03 Kimber and 3 year old Gold Cup.

I wasn't impressed with the Springfield Range Officer. YMMV and all that stuff :)

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I like Ruger, and own several. Having said that, I bought the Springfield Range Officer earlier this year. Clovispup and I quickly grew to love it. Excellent machining, match grade barrel. Mine came with lots of extras. I really nice case, a holster, a mag holder, and 6 magazines. The extra magazines were mail in offer that I believe has expired, although they may have a different incentive going now.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I don't know if it's rational or not, but I'm still having a hard time with the "deal with the devil" that Springfield Armory made earlier this year with Illinois. The Range Officer seems to provide a lot of value for the money, and has the features I want, but I'm reluctant to buy a gun from SA.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
At least with the SA choice, your money benefits the poor souls in Brazil...

Hope nothing ever needs service, 'cause the CS is just not the same as that which the Ruger employees provide.

My last Springfield 1911 tripled on the first range visit. I've never looked at them since. At least with Ruger, you get stainless and right-now CS. Your money, your choice.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
mohavesam said:

Hope nothing ever needs service, 'cause the CS is just not the same as that which the Ruger employees provide.

My last Springfield 1911 tripled on the first range visit. I've never looked at them since. At least with Ruger, you get stainless and right-now CS. Your money, your choice.

Well, SA quit sourcing from Brazil several years ago. I have had no reason to use SA's CS, but the research I did before buying suggested their CS was very good. I've put probably 2500 rounds through mine in the last 8 months and it has performed very well for me.

I have no doubt the OP will be happy with either the Ruger or the SA. They are both well made and good values.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Update: I ended up buying an SR1911, the Target Model, and it like it a lot. I have fired about 500 rounds so far, a mix of factory ammo and my handloads.

The store I got it from had a standard full size SR1911, but it had a mushy trigger. I tried the Target Model, liked the trigger and it followed me home. Target sights are nice, as are the G10 grips.

It has been accurate and reliable. No actual jams yet, but I did have 2-3 stoppages with a box of PMC Bronze. Apparently, it's a little weaker than most 230 grain ball ammo, and a few times the slide didn't go back hard enough to full cock the hammer. No problems at all, though, with other factory loads or with my loads.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
ditto1958 said:

Ditto,
I bought 6 SRs When they first came out, ("Obama Fever")! 4 Sr1911s and two CMDs.
The one I carry has a nice 4 lb trigger. Like breaking glass. gave my son in law one of them,
and although he got into shooting late in life, he loves it, trigger and all.
I also gave one of the other CMDs to a LEO friend of mine in Houston, and
he carries it on the job. (says it all right there)! And the third one I traded off. I still have two others besides
my carry gun, of those two, one needs a teeny bit of trigger work, and the other is a CMD and has
an adequate trigger for the range. Me, if I only had the one, I would ask around and find out who
does good trigger work. just me saying. Good luck.

Caught your update.
Great buy.
Blackie

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Blackie, I had the gun at the range again today, and it didn't disappoint. I'm very happy with it. Ruger probably makes the best 1911 in its price range.

modrifle3

Buckeye
mohavesam said:

Well most of this statement is complete bull. None of the SA's now are made in any capacity that would lend to "made in Brazil", this has been well covered over on 1911forum. I have had my RO worked on and sent to the Custom Shop. Service is just as good as Ruger that I have seen. Ruger is more liberal with repairs that are not actual issues related to the correct use of the firearm, but otherwise they are on par.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
SA frames and slides are forged in Brazil. Just to check, I went to two LGS, one a wholesaler/distributor and verified this. The models with an NM in the s/n are assembled in IL. Their custom shop (repair) is in the USA.

I don't know what else you're calling bull, but Ruger employees are paid in US dollars, and they buy groceries and send their kids to school with US dollars. Don't whine when your job is outsourced. Sam Walton was right.

'course, some folks still choose to rationalize their choices, but I'll side with American workers for essentially the same product.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
I have not chosen to purchase 1911 Brazil or Phillipines built/parts etc fireams. Have a couple of Turks that I was attracted to, ala, features, fit/finish, and $. Still think the SR 1911 are good guns.........hear by the iron rail that more SR variants will show up in fairly close future(be on the watch). Like the logic on US dollars......... 8) :wink:

hittman

Staff member
modrifle3 said:
Well most of this statement is complete bull. None of the SA's now are made in any capacity that would lend to "made in Brazil", this has been well covered over on 1911forum.

What exactly does this mean "made in any capacity that would lend to "made in Brazil"?

If all the parts are made in Brazil but the gun is assembled in USA, they can claim "Made in USA"?
If under 50% of the parts come from Brazil they can say "Made in USA"?
The guns are completely manufactured and assembled in the USA?

I see lots of conflicting stories on that 1911Forum you reference.

hittman

Staff member
Here's the word via email from Springfield today:

All of our current manufactured 1911 pistols are manufactured here at Springfield Armory in Geneseo, Illinois.

In the past we did utilize a forging facility in Brazil to help with production. You would have to look at each individual pistol to answer specifically where it was forged.

If the 1911 is stamped "Made in Brazil" it was forged in Brazil to our specifications. All final fit and finish on the 1911 was performed at Springfield Armory. If it is stamped Geneseo, IL this means that production, assembly, fit and finish is done in Geneseo with imported parts from our sources.

Penne B | Customer Service Team Leader
Springfield Armory®

Latest posts