I wanna buy a Ruger, but...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
HAWKEYE#28 said:
I have not chosen to purchase 1911 Brazil or Phillipines built/parts etc fireams. Have a couple of Turks that I was attracted to, ala, features, fit/finish, and $. Still think the SR 1911 are good guns.........hear by the iron rail that more SR variants will show up in fairly close future(be on the watch). Like the logic on US dollars......... 8) :wink:

HAWKEYE,
I have about 6 "Philippine" guns, twice as many rugers, and several Tokarev copies of 1911s.
I like them all, they all shoot well, and both RIA and Ruger have excellent customer service.
Blackie

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I dunno. I have a Glock. It says "Austria" on it and I'm fine with that. I have Brownings from Belgium, and CZ's from the Czech Republic. They say where they're made, and I'm good with it . My Ruger SR1911 proudly states "Made in U.S.A." on it, and I'm very happy with that. Why can't SA be more straightforward about where their stuff comes from? If it's good, people will buy it.

DGW1949

Hunter
ditto1958 said:
I dunno. I have a Glock. It says "Austria" on it and I'm fine with that. I have Brownings from Belgium, and CZ's from the Czech Republic. They say where they're made, and I'm good with it . My Ruger SR1911 proudly states "Made in U.S.A." on it, and I'm very happy with that. Why can't SA be more straightforward about where their stuff comes from? If it's good, people will buy it.

Good point(s).
On a similar note, my all time favorite 9MM pistol is what is most commonly called "The Browning High power", a moniker which I find to be rather strange being's how John Browning didn't design it, and the Browning company itself has never even produced one. Yet the legend(s) to the contrary persist, as does the snobbery concerning the "assembled in Portugal" marking found on the newer (Browning-marketed) versions, which itself is also misleading in that FN established an assembly plant for assembling HP's years before that particular marking began appearing on the guns being sent to the USA...

Which brings me to this:
Where's the "Made in the USA" versions?...well, there ain't none, and never has been despite the fact that the Patent expired years ago.
And besides, given the tendency shown by US manufacturers towards substituting castings, stampings, and MIM for forgings and bar stock, plus their increased use of engineering-shortcuts which stem from the 'lean manufacturing' business model (and the attendant lack of QC which also goes with it)...would someone who grew up with real FN 'High Powers' even want one?...The point to that latter part being that once upon a time, regardless of 'which gun', 'which clone', or 'which model' we're talking about, "Made in the USA" meant a lot more than it means today regardless of whether it's a Colt, S&W, Remington, or even a Chevy truck...

...so everyone please...try to overlook my seeming 'lack of patriotism' if I happen to pick one gun over another based on something other than where it was made or 'who' may be marketing it...be it a '1911 clone', 'Browning clone' (now there's a play on words), a lever gun, bolt gun, RIA, CZ, Rossi, SA Inc, FEG or whatever...or for that matter, some day decide that my next truck should be a Toyota...

just sayin'.

DGW

modrifle3

Buckeye
hittman said:
modrifle3 said:
Well most of this statement is complete bull. None of the SA's now are made in any capacity that would lend to "made in Brazil", this has been well covered over on 1911forum.

What exactly does this mean "made in any capacity that would lend to "made in Brazil"?

If all the parts are made in Brazil but the gun is assembled in USA, they can claim "Made in USA"?
If under 50% of the parts come from Brazil they can say "Made in USA"?
The guns are completely manufactured and assembled in the USA?

I see lots of conflicting stories on that 1911Forum you reference.

At one point their 1911 frames where finished to a percentage that they had to be stamped made in brazil. Then they moved to only producing the lower end ones there and using forgings that came out of the Embril or Imbril factory. Now they do not even claim they use these forgings anymore. Now all of the machining for the frame is done in the USA, the frame forging is a raw material, but they do not freely disclose where its sourced. The slides are made in the USA start to finish from what they have told me. Contrary to what the internet will tell you, the factory that these forging came from is state of the art and very high quality. I have no faith in pistols finished in Brazil after owning a Taurus, but the manufacture and finishing is done in the US now. SA has come a long way in what they build.

Ruger has an advantage in the fact they own a forging and casting company. This in itself is a big factor in allowing them to produce firearms at the price point they do.

modrifle3

Buckeye
I also don't believe anything is truly made in the USA in a global economy. Ford, Chrysler and Chevrolet use parts sourced from Mexico to China. I imagine the cases that Rugers are shipped in come from China or some South East Asian market. Great holsters are made in Mexico and a good chunk of their non firearms items are made in China.

Ruger and SA are still high quality US based companies and support American workers. I may however draw the line at Browning who was sourcing some complete firearms from China.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
I know this is a Ruger Forum , but there are a whole buncha good 1911 options, and very competitive at respective price points .

Statement #1 - Buy the one you like best.
Statement #2 - If a particular one totally suits you other than the trigger , that can be easily dealt with .

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Biggfoot44 said:
I know this is a Ruger Forum , but there are a whole buncha good 1911 options, and very competitive at respective price points .

Statement #1 - Buy the one you like best.
Statement #2 - If a particular one totally suits you other than the trigger , that can be easily dealt with .

Hard to argue with you on that.

Latest posts