Ruger 1911 10mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

se3388

Bearcat
I just picked up a new SR1911 10mm and at first didn't like the performance. After a breakdown/inspection/cleaning/lubing it was out to the back porch to let loose a few rounds. The first mag had failure to feed with the round hung up half way into the chamber, when I pulled the slide back to clear it three rounds flew straight up out of the gun. Second mag just needed a bump on the back of the slide to fully seat one round, after that I fired about six magazines full with no problems. I didn't have a target set up so I was just plinking at rocks and sticks out to 65 yds and it shows promise in the accuracy department. I changed out the black grips (prefer the double diamond wood) for some decent wood grips. From the Factory the trigger broke at a 4 lb pull over a ten pull average with a moderate amount of take up with a decently crisp break and some over travel. The trigger does have an over travel adjustment screw so that can be taken care of, overall it's a pretty decent trigger for a production gun. Hopefully I can get some range time this week and can take my Delta Elite and SR 1911 10 mm both and compare them.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
It's a fine looking piece se3388 I'd like to own one myself. I'm curious about the malfunction clearance that caused 3 good rounds to fly out of the chamber. Do you think the magazine lips are out of spec allowing the rounds under compression to fly free?

It's the only thing I could think of that may cause this since that is an extremely unusual malfunction. You could probably test this by loading a magazine and flicking the rounds out one at a time with your thumb to see if the malfunction repeats with the magazine in your hand.

Mike J

Hunter
I would be interested to read your impressions if you do a side by side with it & the Delta Elite. To be honest I have the SR 1911 in .45 acp but I don't really have anything to compare it to as it is my only 1911 & I've never shot any other ones. I do like it though.

se3388

Bearcat
Rei40c

After the first two magazines it has functioned perfectly and I did load the mag up and did it like you described and it worked great so I am at a loss to understand why it did what it did. I have never had one do that before. I had a funny look on my face when it happened though. It will probably next week before I can go to the range.

Steve........

Rei40c

Blackhawk
se3388 said:
Rei40c

After the first two magazines it has functioned perfectly and I did load the mag up and did it like you described and it worked great so I am at a loss to understand why it did what it did. I have never had one do that before. I had a funny look on my face when it happened though. It will probably next week before I can go to the range.

Steve........

Maybe it was just a one time thing I hope so. How was the recoil? I've never fired a 10mm but I have fired the Glock 21 in .45 acp and didn't find the recoil all that bad. It felt more like a push straight back into the palm than flip. At 40 ounces I'm guessing it's heavy enough to be nice shooter but I'm not sure.

se3388

Bearcat
Just shooting the Ruger and Delta off the back porch at rocks and stuff it definitely had less 'whip' upon firing so the 'bull barrel' does dampen recoil more than my Delta Elite. Nothing wrong with shooting the Delta at all just the Ruger 10mm is more comfortable. Ruger '10mm', I never thought I would be saying that. I know Ruger and Buckeye Sports put out a Limited Edition 38/40 - 10mm Blackhawk at one time (I had one).

Steve...........

se3388

Bearcat
I just picked up a new SR1911 10mm and at first didn't like the performance. After a breakdown/inspection/cleaning/lubing it was out to the back porch to let loose a few rounds. The first mag had failure to feed with the round hung up half way into the chamber, when I pulled the slide back to clear it three rounds flew straight up out of the gun. Second mag just needed a bump on the back of the slide to fully seat one round, after that I fired about six magazines full with no problems. I didn't have a target set up so I was just plinking at rocks and sticks out to 65 yds and it shows promise in the accuracy department. I changed out the black grips (prefer the double diamond wood) for some decent wood grips. From the Factory the trigger broke at a 4 lb pull over a ten pull average with a moderate amount of take up with a decently crisp break and some over travel. The trigger does have an over travel adjustment screw so that can be taken care of, overall it's a pretty decent trigger for a production gun. Hopefully I can get some range time this week and can take my Delta Elite and SR 1911 10 mm both and compare them.
Kq07CYhl.jpg

d7gJgjgl.jpg

VNhL6Qfl.jpg

lScajrMl.jpg

Steve.......

Tom W

Blackhawk
It does look better with the wood grip panels....

I haven't bought a firearm in a few years. I'm looking at the RedHawk 45 colt /45 acp, the Ruger 1911 in 9mm, and the 10mm like the one above. The 10 would be the most expensive, as I'd have to buy brass, bullet molds and dies....so it's low on the list.

se3388

Bearcat
How does the Redhawk shoot the .45 ACP (moon clips ?) or did you mean a Blackhawk. I have one of the convertible .45 Colt/45 ACP and haven't shot the acp cylinder in over 25 years but have shot untold thousands of .45 Colt. I picked up a like new stainless 9mm Colt 1911 and it is a ball to shoot, I had a once fired (mine) 9mm case completely blow out in the 1911 using a 124 gr FMJ bullet over 4.1 gr of Win 231 and all it did was produce a puff of smoke that came out all over the pistol. I think I was lucky, that was the first time I have ever had a case let go in all my years of shooting.

3AyjGzdl.jpg
Iq22pSsl.jpg

But there's something about the 10mm and brass, bullets are easy to come by so give it a good think. I really like my Ruger SR 1911 10mm. I shoot it more than my Delta Elite now when I decide to shoot 10 mm.

Steve.........

Sal1950

Blackhawk
se3388 said:
I had a once fired (mine) 9mm case completely blow out in the 1911 using a 124 gr FMJ bullet over 4.1 gr of Win 231 and all it did was produce a puff of smoke that came out all over the pistol. I think I was lucky, that was the first time I have ever had a case let go in all my years of shooting.
Steve.........

Having that big thick walled barrel probably didn't hurt either. :wink:

Sal1950

Blackhawk
georogray said:
I was wondering if anyone has shot any hot loads such as Buffalo Bore in the 10mm Ruger.
I put about 2 mags of BB 180g JHP down the pipe a while back.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/645333/buffalo-bore-ammunition-10mm-auto-180-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-20
They functioned without issue and had a very stout recoil. I didn't have my chrono out that day but subjectively they felt a bit hotter than my load of Precision Delta 180 JSP over 13.9g of AA#9. That load did chrono about 1290fps at 15 ft. I still have a mag left over to chrono one day just to see how close they come to their 1350 spec. When I get a chance I post the numbers here.

msp2640

Single-Sixer
I have a Kimber Stainless Target II in 10mm. Looks almost identical to the Ruger version and like you, I swapped out the black panels for some double diamond wood grips, as well. I really should get it from the back of the safe, for some more range time. So far about 200 rounds in 4 or so years of ownership and no issues with it. Best of luck with the new 10. If I didn't have it's twin already I would have picked one up. But the long slide Remington keeps calling out my name every now and then......Bill in MA

se3388

Bearcat
I have a Kimber Eclipse Target II (45 acp) and really love it and a Remington R1. I bet the Rem long slide in 10 is a sweet shooter. I kind of laughed a little bit when I read you put 200 rounds through your pistol in about four years, I put a little over that in my Ruger 10mm in the first 48 hours I had it, I think I'm trying to wear it out.

Steve...........

Sal1950

Blackhawk
se3388 said:
I kind of laughed a little bit when I read you put 200 rounds through your pistol in about four years, I put a little over that in my Ruger 10mm in the first 48 hours I had it, I think I'm trying to wear it out.

Steve...........
Yes, his post also made me smile. I put 200+ the first day to the range. I don't feel I can start to take stock on a new weapon till I hit 500 minimum, more like 1K rounds. I've been trying for 30+ years now to wear out my Dillon 450B press but it just keeps on chooglin without issue.

Since we're again discussing the SR1911 10mm...

Went to the range today to wring out a rifle. Figured I better shoot my 1911 10mm whilst I was at it, so I brought it along too. I love 1911's. But this SR 1911 10mm is the nicest to shoot of any 1911 I've ever shot, regardless of caliber. I've shot other 10mm's, but I was never a fan til now. Some of the stuff I shoot is not much hotter than a .40 S&W. Other stuff, 180 grain approaching 1300 fps is a little more stout, but the only real difference I notice while shooting is the bigger fireball. Shooting is still extremely comfortable.

Normally, I shoot bullseye targets, and if I can't shoot small groups every time, I'm disappointed. Today, I shot "paper gongs". These are very large paper targets with 5 gongs printed on them. Maybe 8 or ten inches each. Instead of shooting bullseyes, I shot these paper gongs as fast as I could. I got most of the shots on the gongs, and I was pleased. :mrgreen: That's probable a more realistic test of the gun and me than producing tiny little groups under very controlled conditions and no timer.

Again, I've never been a fan of the 10mm, but this SR1911 has made me a changed person.

WAYNO said:
Since we're again discussing the SR1911 10mm...

Went to the range today to wring out a rifle. Figured I better shoot my 1911 10mm whilst I was at it, so I brought it along too. I love 1911's. But this SR 1911 10mm is the nicest to shoot of any 1911 I've ever shot, regardless of caliber. I've shot other 10mm's, but I was never a fan til now. Some of the stuff I shoot is not much hotter than a .40 S&W. Other stuff, 180 grain approaching 1300 fps is a little more stout, but the only real difference I notice while shooting is the bigger fireball. Shooting is still extremely comfortable.

Normally, I shoot bullseye targets, and if I can't shoot small groups every time, I'm disappointed. Today, I shot "paper gongs". These are very large paper targets with 5 gongs printed on them. Maybe 8 or ten inches each. Instead of shooting bullseyes, I shot these paper gongs as fast as I could. I got most of the shots on the gongs, and I was pleased. :mrgreen: That's probable a more realistic test of the gun and me than producing tiny little groups under very controlled conditions and no timer.

Again, I've never been a fan of the 10mm, but this SR1911 has made me a changed person.

I have gained enough reliability confidence in my 10mm SR1911 that it will be my back up sidearm for my upcoming muzzle loader deer season. The state of Washington allows us to carry a handgun as a backup for cougar/bear/and bad human protection during the muzzle loader and archery seasons. I feel well protected.

Dave :D

Deschutes5

Bearcat
It's amazing how the looks change so much for the better when you add wood grips! Looks great. The Ruger 10mm is on my short list for sure!

mikewriter

Blackhawk
My first 10mm was a Glock, and the first time I shot it I had a Double Tap round "blow out" just above the rim. Messed up the mag, cracked the grip. I changed to a 6" (Glock) barrel from the Lone Wolf I had originally, and changed recoil springs. Did much better, but I still sold it. Just bought an EAA Witness 10mm, but have not shot it yet. Feels much better than the Glock, though. Looking at either an RIA or Ruger 10mm 1911. Think I'd like either of those. I do like what I've seen of the "case support" the Ruger provides, as I think that is important with 10mm. If I keep getting good reports on the Ruger, it will possibly be my next 10mm.

Looking a 10mm as a woods-walking and night time security gun, as well as for hog hunting. Will be trying heavy hard cast loads soon on the Witness.

Mike Holmes

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
Somewhere out there is my comment about shooting my 10 mm Ruger I like it better than my 45. Added mastodon ivory and it looks nice.