RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:03 pm 
Newly Registered

Teddydogno1 wrote:
I put one on layaway today. It comes with two magazines, which of course means I need at LEAST 2 more if not 4 - 6. I did a few quick searches after getting home and I didn't find Ruger mags for sale. Colt's run up to $40 and Mec-Gars are around $20. Will these mags work in the Ruger? Any source and price for Ruger factory mags?

EDIT: $40 at shopruger.com (I HOPE that's not the best we can do!)

(I'll continue my Googling as well, but I figure guys here have already gone through this).

Thanks.

Rob

Not to throw cold water on everyone, but I've had problems with the Ruger mags that came with the gun. As others have mentioned on this forum, they seem to be a bit finicky with JHP ammo. Can't get more than 3-4 in mag without pushing harder to overcome resistance, then any rounds on top of that just fall out if mag inverted. Lubrication no help. Bought 2 more at LGS, and they do the same thing! Using Precision One ammo. Bought pack of 5 from "Joe's 1911 Magmania" on Ebay as listed in response above and they load and work fine?! :shock: Come on Ruger!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:11 am 
Bearcat

I too had problems with Ruger mags firing Underwood 200gr XTP and Doubletap 200gr hardcast. Bought some Wilson mags and have had no problems. Ruger CS was great though, I have yet to try the new mags Ruger sent me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:50 pm 
Newly Registered

MTbisley44 wrote:
I too had problems with Ruger mags firing Underwood 200gr XTP and Doubletap 200gr hardcast. Bought some Wilson mags and have had no problems. Ruger CS was great though, I have yet to try the new mags Ruger sent me.

I just got the replacements in mail yesterday, and they WILL load OK. Haven't fired them yet. They weren't in usual Ruger blister pack. I wonder if Ruger contacted their mag maker to complain about all the returns and received a batch of "proven" ones to send out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:00 pm 
Buckeye

I think Ruger mags are made by Metalform. Below is a DW mag supplied with my new DW Bruin on the right. Take off the bumper and it has the Metalform logo and has the removable base plate. To the left of that is one of the two mags I got with my Ruger SR1911-10. To the left of that is a Colt mag and it is made by Metalform and again has the removable base plate. On the far left is a Mecgar mag. The Checkmate 10mm mags I have seen have a follower like the Mecgar and not Metalform.

On the other hand test and play with whatever mags in your pistol of choice with your ammo of choice to be sure it is 100%. Even at the range it is a pain to put down your beverage of choice and have to use your weak hand for fixing a problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:19 am 
Blackhawk

Srb08 wrote:
Last week, I ordered two Metalform 10mm mags from Midway.
They're identical to the Ruger mags, except the amount of polish. The Ruger mags have a brighter polish. The size and font of the stamping on the floor plate are the same, the only difference being the logo.
This morning, I tried them out.
Functioning was 100%. No issues of any kind.
I paid $25 from Midway but subsequently found them at CDNN for $20.
I just ordered a few more.

$24 ($23 dealer) at Brownells