Magazines for the SR1911 in 10mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
I put one on layaway today. It comes with two magazines, which of course means I need at LEAST 2 more if not 4 - 6. I did a few quick searches after getting home and I didn't find Ruger mags for sale. Colt's run up to $40 and Mec-Gars are around $20. Will these mags work in the Ruger? Any source and price for Ruger factory mags?

EDIT: $40 at shopruger.com (I HOPE that's not the best we can do!)

(I'll continue my Googling as well, but I figure guys here have already gone through this).

Thanks.

Rob

gunzo

Buckeye
Any properly made 1911 magazine should work, if not, I wouldn't want the pistol.

A mag from Ruger for $40 is ridiculous, at best it's probably made by Meggar, which can be bought elsewhere for $18.

The best production made 10mm mags on the planet are $36-$38 street price, Tripp Research or Wilson. Some say they are no better than the rest, they're overpriced, or unnecessary. Unnecessary if all you're gonna do is visit the range a few times a year. But if in a dark alley with my 10, or facing down an angry Wild Boar, I'll be glad I shelled out the cash for a couple from Tripp or Wilson & tested them first of course.

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the confirmation that they work with "standard" 10mm 1911 mags.

I'll probably buy a couple Mec-Gars and a couple of Wilsons (extra round).

Rob

cas6969

Buckeye
I had another brand 10mm for a couple years, it came with Checkmate mags. Though they had issues with other things in the past, they seemed to work just fine for me.

And while I wouldn't really trust them in harms way or other important targets, on at least one occasion I forgot the 10mm mags at home, used my .45ACP mags and it fed and functioned just fine for me. (Though I may not have loaded them to capacity. I was testing handloads, so there may have been no need to fill them all the way. I don't honestly remember.)

sliclee

Single-Sixer
$40 a mag SS just like what came with my 10 mm years ago. Today, that mag is still $40 to buy.I bought 4.
Where oh where would I find one elsewhere if needed.

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
I found a seller on ebay with a 5 pack for $89. 10mm, polished stainless, bumper pads installed, supposedly made in the USA and teflon-coated follower. They look good and fit the pistol, but I haven't test fired them yet.

Seller has other kinds right now, but not exactly what I bought.

http://stores.ebay.com/joes1911magmania/_i.html?rt=nc&_pgn=2&_ipg=48

Rob

Srb08

Single-Sixer
Last week, I ordered two Metalform 10mm mags from Midway.
They're identical to the Ruger mags, except the amount of polish. The Ruger mags have a brighter polish. The size and font of the stamping on the floor plate are the same, the only difference being the logo.
This morning, I tried them out.
Functioning was 100%. No issues of any kind.
I paid $25 from Midway but subsequently found them at CDNN for $20.
I just ordered a few more.

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
Yesterday I finally got my 10mm out to the range, including the 5 mags I mentioned above (from Joe's 1911 Mags on eBay). Pistol functioned perfectly with everything.

My range only allows 5 in the mag, so not to break the rules, I loaded 3 fired cases into each before topping off with 5 live rounds so I could test function will full spring tension. No issues with feeding. I also has tried them all with just a couple loaded. Recall that these mags were 5 for $89 delivered and are high polish SS with bumper pads and teflon-coated flat followers (not round top like the factory mags).

The only quibble I had with the Joe's mags is that the follower has a "nub" or small bump in the middle. When hand-emptying the mags, this bump likes to grab the rim of the case and it is a little struggle to unload. The pistol had no such trouble when feeding the last round, though, so this is a really minor issue.

Rob

Srb08

Single-Sixer
Srb08 said:
They're identical to the Ruger mags, except the amount of polish. The Ruger mags have a brighter polish. The size and font of the stamping on the floor plate are the same, the only difference being the logo.

I received the Metalform magazines from CDNN. They have removable floor plates, not welded, like the ones I got from Midway. Otherwise, they are identical. I prefer the welded version and will be ordering a few more.

se3388

Bearcat
Yep any 1911 full size 10mm mag should work. I have 4 Ruger 10mm mags, 2 Colt 10mm mags and 4 Mec-Gar mags and they all work perfectly in the my SR1911 10mm.
My Ruger 10mm mags are different than the ones I have from Mec-Gar.

Steve.........

dakota1911

Buckeye
Before Christmas Brownells had some Metalform blems. The blem is that there is no marking of any type on them. Bought a few and they seem fine and look just like the Ruger mags without markings. Brownells says they are out of stock but still has them listed (as of a few minutes ago).

https://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=10mm+1911+mags&ksubmit=y

dieter9mm

Bearcat
Teddydogno1 said:
I put one on layaway today. It comes with two magazines, which of course means I need at LEAST 2 more if not 4 - 6. I did a few quick searches after getting home and I didn't find Ruger mags for sale. Colt's run up to $40 and Mec-Gars are around $20. Will these mags work in the Ruger? Any source and price for Ruger factory mags?

EDIT: $40 at shopruger.com (I HOPE that's not the best we can do!)

(I'll continue my Googling as well, but I figure guys here have already gone through this).

Thanks.

Rob
Not to throw cold water on everyone, but I've had problems with the Ruger mags that came with the gun. As others have mentioned on this forum, they seem to be a bit finicky with JHP ammo. Can't get more than 3-4 in mag without pushing harder to overcome resistance, then any rounds on top of that just fall out if mag inverted. Lubrication no help. Bought 2 more at LGS, and they do the same thing! Using Precision One ammo. Bought pack of 5 from "Joe's 1911 Magmania" on Ebay as listed in response above and they load and work fine?! :shock: Come on Ruger!

MTbisley44

Bearcat
I too had problems with Ruger mags firing Underwood 200gr XTP and Doubletap 200gr hardcast. Bought some Wilson mags and have had no problems. Ruger CS was great though, I have yet to try the new mags Ruger sent me.

dieter9mm

Bearcat
MTbisley44 said:
I too had problems with Ruger mags firing Underwood 200gr XTP and Doubletap 200gr hardcast. Bought some Wilson mags and have had no problems. Ruger CS was great though, I have yet to try the new mags Ruger sent me.
I just got the replacements in mail yesterday, and they WILL load OK. Haven't fired them yet. They weren't in usual Ruger blister pack. I wonder if Ruger contacted their mag maker to complain about all the returns and received a batch of "proven" ones to send out.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I think Ruger mags are made by Metalform. Below is a DW mag supplied with my new DW Bruin on the right. Take off the bumper and it has the Metalform logo and has the removable base plate. To the left of that is one of the two mags I got with my Ruger SR1911-10. To the left of that is a Colt mag and it is made by Metalform and again has the removable base plate. On the far left is a Mecgar mag. The Checkmate 10mm mags I have seen have a follower like the Mecgar and not Metalform.

On the other hand test and play with whatever mags in your pistol of choice with your ammo of choice to be sure it is 100%. Even at the range it is a pain to put down your beverage of choice and have to use your weak hand for fixing a problem.

edlmann

Blackhawk
Srb08 said:
$24 ($23 dealer) at Brownells

Latest posts