10mm 1911 ????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

grobin

Blackhawk
It appears to me that the 41 is a well entrenched hunting caliber. The 10mm is popular as a backup particularly for hogs. As far as ballistics it is similar to the 357 & 357SIG. I don't see the 357SIG going any where except with some LEO ( mainly feds). There don't seem to be many pistols chambered for it except for sig. So if you want ~357 ballistics and a wide choice of ammo (some of the odd ball go to 700ft lbs) the 10mm looks good for the long run. Particularly if you want a semi auto. Yes it's a niche but a useful one.

I'd be more concerned with the long term viability of the 41 myself. Dedicated bunch of handgun hunters love it, but neither he 41 not the 10mms would be my first choice.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
My 6" AMT Javelina gets over 1200fps with a 200gr JHP/XTP chrono'd, and is headshot-accurate. Most factory loads today I see, use a 135/light-for-caliber bullet to attain 1150.

I will buy a Ruger but have low expectations for a 5" barrel (Colt did that in the 1980's). I missed the SA linkless 10mm 1911A1 (5"), but it looked rugged, albeit with fixed sights.

mohavesam said:
My 6" AMT Javelina gets over 1200fps with a 200gr JHP/XTP chrono'd, and is headshot-accurate. Most factory loads today I see, use a 135/light-for-caliber bullet to attain 1150.

I will buy a Ruger but have low expectations for a 5" barrel (Colt did that in the 1980's). I missed the SA linkless 10mm 1911A1 (5"), but it looked rugged, albeit with fixed sights.

Can't speak to other folks experiences, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised with this 10mm. :D I was and am!

Dave

mcknight77

Blackhawk
In this late, but I had a Delta Elite for many years. The 10mm has a trajectory similar to a .357 and power similar to the .45ACP. To me, a useful combination. It does not have .41Mag power, but a 41Mag doesn't have 8 shots nor is it available in the 1911 format. That 1911 format causes me to pick it up and take it into the woods instead of picking up a big bore revolver. The revolvers have their place, but the 1911 in 10mm is one I grab first for come-what-may field carry.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I find most web-posts that merely compare a 10mm to some other chambering are often made by someone who doesn't own a 10mm.
Like mcknight, I carry the 10mm in a DE on many outings. I would some days, carry a lighter pistol, but there be carnivores about that I want to avoid. The 10mm may be bravado in my head, but it gets me home after the trail turns black as ink.

If Kel-Tec made their folding carbine in 10mm using 1911 or Gluck mags, I'd have one in my daypack right now. I'm sure Ruger would copy it eventually (& make some design tweaks) but so far they've missed that epiphany.

I have been a long time 10mm fan and have had numerous platforms in that caliber. Right now, I just have the SR1911 and a Buckeye convertible in 10mm. I just like the round.... Din't think it is better than a 41 mag, just like it. :D

Dave

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
loaded round said:
Anybody have a S&W Model 610 for sale?
I think hen's teeth are easier to find.

I have a five inch that is a total Gem! It took me over twenty years to
find the seven(?) inch one. That one was used by its original owner to
shoot bowling pin matches (in 40S&W) until it would not reliably ignite
every round in double action. I bought a new hammer spring for it, but
have not gotten it installed yet.

Good luck in finding one.

dakota1911

Buckeye
For those interested there is an interesting 10mm forum one can look at.

http://10mm-firearms.com/index.php

sliclee

Single-Sixer
Not that I'm an expert on what every guide or hunter in the US carries into the woods, I have never seen a semi auto pistol
carried in the woods by anyone.
Every man or women has always carried a revolver be it single or double action or no side arm.

sliclee said:
Not that I'm an expert on what every guide or hunter in the US carries into the woods, I have never seen a semi auto pistol
Every man or women has always carried a revolver be it single or double action or no side arm.

Beg to differ.... A lot of Northwest guides carry 10mm Glocks for backup. Just my experience.

Dave

Pantherclass2004

Single-Sixer
sliclee said:

In Maine a few years ago, the guide on a bear hunt carried a Ruger s mi 45 cap as his backup. He is one of the most experienced guides in Maine.