SR1911 returned

Help Support Ruger Forum:

5of7

Hunter
I sent my SR1911 .45 ACP back to Ruger because of unsatisfactory accuracy Just 1 week ago today.

Yesterday I got an email saying that it was on it's way back and would be delivered tomorrow via FEDEX.

Quick service? 8)

5of7

Hunter
OK, I got the SR1911 back today and it appears that they did nothing to it. They said it was test fired and found to be within specifications.

I like Ruger revolvers and have always found them to be as accurate as I can shoot, but this 1911 will not deliver groups anywhere near what I would find satisfactory.

Even my little LC9s groups tighter at 25 yards than this SR1911.
8)

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
5of7 said:
OK, I got the SR1911 back today and it appears that they did nothing to it. They said it was test fired and found to be within specifications.

I like Ruger revolvers and have always found them to be as accurate as I can shoot, but this 1911 will not deliver groups anywhere near what I would find satisfactory.

Even my little LC9s groups tighter at 25 yards than this SR1911.
8)

5ive,
I have 6 Sr 1911s, One I gave to my grandson, he carries it on the job, and had to qualify with it.
Which he did, no problem. I carry one occasionally, it is accurate. More so than I am.
The others, 4 SRs and 2 CMDs I occasionally shoot, and they are accurate.
If I were you, I would call Ruger, (1 (603) 865-2442)
Tell them you are dissatisfied, and either fix it or give you your
money back. Just saying.
Blackie

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I bought a .41 M Blackhawk, 4 5/8. From 5ive. Shot perfect until front sight came off. Poor solder job, rust on barrel. When I got it back, rear sight was all way left. And I still shot it to the right I called Ruger and was told it tested "On and On". They test at 15 yards. It was "On" vertical and "On" horizontal. Bet the SR 1911 's are shot same way

5of7

Hunter
They sent a target that had 5 in about 1-1/2" at 15 yds. I don't know how many tries it took to get that group, but I am sure that it is not the average. They didn't even bother to clean it after function firing, which they said was 21 shots.

I feel like I was disrespected over the deal and as a result, I have bought my last Ruger Semi auto handgun. I have a CZ 75 that will shoot groups twice as good as this SR1911 does.

It ain't any big deal, I will see if I can get a conversion unit of some kind for it and if that fails, it'll make a good paper weight. 8)

DGW1949

Hunter
Maybe I'm misreading your post, but a run of the mill, mass produced, cast-clone "1911" that can be used to put five .45 cal holes inside a 1-1/2" circle @ 15 Yds don't seem all that bad to me. Actually, it sounds purty-good. I mean really, we ain't exactly talking a Colt Gold Cup here, eh?...

...just sayin'.

DGW

5of7

Hunter
DGW1949 said:
Maybe I'm misreading your post, but a run of the mill, mass produced, cast-clone "1911" that can be used to put five .45 cal holes inside a 1-1/2" circle @ 15 Yds don't seem all that bad to me. Actually, it sounds purty-good. I mean really, we ain't exactly talking a Colt Gold Cup here, eh?...

...just sayin'.

DGW

It sounds pretty good to me too...if I could believe it.

Now I don't pretend to be any champion pistol shot, but I know for a fact that I can keep 5 rounds in 2-1/2" at 25 yards from a rested position. My rested position is this: sitting in a legless chair, with my knees brought up to where I can rest my wrists on the knees. It is a good stable position and when in thi position I can keep all 6 out of a Redhawk .44 Magnum on a white paper plate at 100 yds.

With this gun at 25 yards, the groups will be 3or maybe 4 into 3-1/2" and either 1 or 2 fliers that enlarge it to 6" to 9". I know enough to know when I have a good sight picture when the gun fired and can call my fliers if I cause any when shooting an accurate gun, but this one has produced exactly 2 sub 4" groups out of perhaps 30 groups recorded. The rest have been the afore mentioned 6" to 9"ers.

In short, it ain't me boys, it is the gun and ruger seems to think I should be happy with it.....I ain't. 8)

DGW1949

Hunter
Not doubting your shooting ability at all, but it's obvious that "something is causing the difference" in terms of you comparing your results to Ruger's results.
Two experienced shooters, same gun, vastly different results...must be the ammo, that's what I'd be thinking.

DGW

5of7

Hunter
DGW1949 said:
Not doubting your shooting ability at all, but it's obvious that "something is causing the difference" in terms of you comparing your results to Ruger's results.
Two experienced shooters, same gun, vastly different results...must be the ammo, that's what I'd be thinking.

DGW

Might be the ammo all right. Whatever it is, I am running out of enthusiasm for shooting it. 8)

5of7

Hunter
Well boys, I think I may have found PART of my problem; I keep a pair of goat skin gloves in my range bag for when I shoot the bigger kickers like the 480 Ruger and heavy bullet loads in the .44 Mg.

I got to thinking about the gun slipping in my hand because of the fairly heavy bullet and the low velocity. Now we all know that the gun starts to move before the bullet exits the muzzle, so it figures that minimizing the variation of the movement can affect accuracy to a significant extent.

So today when I went to shoot, I donned the goatskins and I am happy to report that those wild assed fliers are gone. Now it is grouping around 4.5" with my last group bring 2.25"!

Now I can start working on load development. 8)

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Try Bullseye, 6 grs or so and 185 XTP. Hornady makes a Target bullet. Midway is out. Missouri Cast makes a red coated 230. Anyone want to ride along with me to their store? We can take the '65 GTO out for a spin

gunzo

Hunter
daveg.inkc said:
Try Bullseye, 6 grs or so and 185 XTP. Hornady makes a Target bullet. Midway is out. Missouri Cast makes a red coated 230. Anyone want to ride along with me to their store? We can take the '65 GTO out for a spin

If it's got a Muncie I'll pay you to let me drive. Three deuces & I'll pay you double.

daveg.inkc said:
With the smooth front strap, my SR was slipping. I added Pachmayr American molded grips to mine.

I have the ability & tools to had cut 20 & 30 LPI checkering, but skate board tape on the front strap is so effective & last so long, it makes the cut diamonds seem like wasted time.

PaulWVa

Bearcat
Interesting thread. I have recently purchased a SR1911 so this caught my eye. I've been shooting mine with mainly Winchester White Box and Sig Sauer's new ammo. Accuracy with the combat white dots seems pretty good to me. I'm an old IPSC, bowling pin and plate shooter and I know this is not a "target" pistol. I did add a Nighthawk one piece guide rod and spring....mainly because I had it. My only issue is that the "white dot" in my dot sights came out while cleaning the gun. I'm going to change it out for a fiber optic anyway.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
5of7 said:
Well boys, I think I may have found PART of my problem; I keep a pair of goat skin gloves in my range bag for when I shoot the bigger kickers like the 480 Ruger and heavy bullet loads in the .44 Mg.

I got to thinking about the gun slipping in my hand because of the fairly heavy bullet and the low velocity. Now we all know that the gun starts to move before the bullet exits the muzzle, so it figures that minimizing the variation of the movement can affect accuracy to a significant extent.

So today when I went to shoot, I donned the goatskins and I am happy to report that those wild assed fliers are gone. Now it is grouping around 4.5" with my last group bring 2.25"!

Now I can start working on load development. 8)

5 of 7
I have a set of gloves I bought down here in Texas at a saddle shop, they call them "ropping" gloves, but
they are this goatskin gloves and work fine for me. Especially on miniature 9 mill pistols.
Blackie

5of7

Hunter
I have settled on 6 grs of AA2 behind a 185 gr. XTP seated to 1.24" AOL and started off by a WLP primer. Average velocity runs 950ish and the shot to shot variation is very low with SDs running in the single digits.

I also bought a Hogue rubber wrap around grip which gives me a better grip on the gun and negates the need for the gloves.

Groups are now running at 3-1/4" average @25 YD., seated with wrists rested on my knees. This is about as well as I can shoot a handgun, so I am gonna settle for that.

My apologies have been sent to Ruger's customer service department. 8)