New Ruger SR1911 Target Model

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ordguy

Single-Sixer
It's on the Ruger website: http://ruger-firearms.com/products/sr1911/specSheets/6736.html

MSRP is over $1000.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Kinda what I thought. But in all fairness, it does say it has a "target" crown and some different panels.........LOL!!!

revhigh

Hawkeye
gtxmonte said:
Kinda what I thought. But in all fairness, it does say it has a "target" crown and some different panels.........LOL!!!

LOL ... you're right ... I forgot the target 'crown' ... LOL .... which should have been on the barrel anyway ... makes it a 'target' gun.

That article had to be the best example of gun rag writer BS ever written ...

I loved this quote ... 'So, what has Ruger done to make this a target pistol aside from adding adjustable sights? The answer is, nothing.'

Really ?? We kinda figured that out by ourselves ...

But remember ... 'it's a keeper' .... hahahaha ... :roll:

modrifle3

Buckeye
As long as it sells for $700 to $750 it will be a success. I do like the look, but just have a hard time with a Ruger now. If I saw one and got to really check it over . . . maybe . . . but I have a SA Target Loaded that looks better and drives tacks.

I did have to laugh at the fact he said this gun was as good as a purpose built target gun because it was made on CNC machines. No machine built gun will ever match the craft of a highly skilled hand builder.

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
Nothing exciting to see with this target model. Buying the pistol for the adjustable rear sight, which appears to be the biggest change, is not warranted over simply installing an adjustable rear sight on my standard SR1911, should I ever wish to have one, that is...

Bayou

gunzo

Hunter
revhigh said:
gtxmonte said:

LOL ... you're right ... I forgot the target 'crown' ... LOL .... which should have been on the barrel anyway ... makes it a 'target' gun.

I loved this quote ... 'So, what has Ruger done to make this a target pistol aside from adding adjustable sights? The answer is, nothing.'

But remember ... 'it's a keeper' .... hahahaha ... :roll:
revhigh said:
LOL .... same gun ... adjustable sights .... add $500 ....

revhigh!!! Haven't heard much out of you lately. I've missed your positive respective on things. Welcome back.

DGW1949

Hunter
modrifle3 said:

....I did have to laugh at the fact he said this gun was as good as a purpose built target gun because it was made on CNC machines. No machine built gun will ever match the craft of a highly skilled hand builder.

Aint that the gospel truth! :lol: :lol: :lol: .

DGW

revhigh

Hawkeye
Cholo said:
revhigh said:
LOL .... same gun ... adjustable sights .... add $500 ....
Um, the MSRP is $80 more than the standard 5" SR1911 :roll:

The MSRP of this gun on the Ruger website is $1019 ... if that's $80 more than a std SR1911 I'm surprised ... maybe it is .... and I stand corrected

Update ... I see the MSRP of the std SR1911 is now $939 ... which is totally absurd for a $600 gun, but you're right ... it IS an $80 difference MSRP-wise.

What sense does phony MSRP's make when you can buy a std SR1911 for $600, which is exactly where it should be priced.

REV

Clark

Bearcat
revhigh said:

I was under the impression that gun rag writer BS came in the form of praising every new gun that comes to market. This guy is doing just the opposite and telling it like it is. Few gun rag writers do that with new product reviews.

revhigh said:
The MSRP of this gun on the Ruger website is $1019 ... if that's $80 more than a std SR1911 I'm surprised ... maybe it is .... and I stand corrected

Update ... I see the MSRP of the std SR1911 is now $939 ... which is totally absurd for a $600 gun, but you're right ... it IS an $80 difference MSRP-wise.

What sense does phony MSRP's make when you can buy a std SR1911 for $600, which is exactly where it should be priced.

REV

Taking 24% off the MSRP for Ruger products has, at least in the last several years, always given a good estimate of the street value. This game has always been by gun makers.

Also, if you know where an SR1911 is for $600 I'd suggest buying it. Street price is closer to $700.

Clark

revhigh

Hawkeye
In my area at gunshops that carry them or at gunshows you can buy them all day long for $619-629.

When you get to the $700+ range ... you're in Range Officer territory and there's no comparison between the two guns for about the same price +/- $50.

IMO ... calling a gun 'Target' should mean more than added adjustable sights. First and foremost there should be a demonstrable increase in proven accuracy.

edlmann

Blackhawk
bayou5252 said:
Nothing exciting to see with this target model. Buying the pistol for the adjustable rear sight, which appears to be the biggest change, is not warranted over simply installing an adjustable rear sight on my standard SR1911, should I ever wish to have one, that is...
I casually observe that the Bomar and Novak cuts to the slide look different from each other and would seem to be mutually exclusive of each other.

RonS

Single-Sixer
Hard to believe that Ruger would do what people are saying, changing the sights and name. If it is true that there are no accuracy or trigger improvements, it is a sad state of affairs. Could have been a flagship. Now it is just a service pistol with fragile sights.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Its really the same as the 10/22 Target versions a few years back. Including the "USA Shooting Team" version in laminated red, white & blue stock. The only differences were the stock (they used the off-the-shelf hammer-forged .920 barrels). No trigger treatment, no bedding, no steel mount/ring setup,
nothing but logos.

The SR's adjustable rear sight is a nice option, five years late of course, but a good one nonetheless.
Meh trigger, and 1911 grips are a dime-a-dozen.
A five-minute automated blasted finish (a non-finish) is something that Ruger specializes in. And yet (tens of thousands of) consumers are OK with that.

But for a very-pedestrian 1911A1, as myriad other makers produce, the Ruger is still a workingman's bargain, because it works.
John Browning designed a military man-killing pistol in a service/issue-grade gun, not a grail - it is only recently that makers have produced so many "soft" features that we expect something different - then complain when something different comes along.

Want to make a "Target" version? Sell us a six-inch match barrel and polished-titanium bushing!

- Ya wanna impress me, lose that silly grip safety lever!

modrifle3

Buckeye
RonS said:
Hard to believe that Ruger would do what people are saying, changing the sights and name. If it is true that there are no accuracy or trigger improvements, it is a sad state of affairs. Could have been a flagship. Now it is just a service pistol with fragile sights.

Unfortunately this is the case for many. Very little different between a SA pistol with standard vs target sights. A kimber Stainless and Stainless target only vary in the sight installed. So much is expected of the "cheap" 1911s they are getting into the accuracy range of semi customs of past.

Lets look at it realistically. A gun with a target cut is a good starting point to build a target gun. Most will slowly swap out their OEM parts for hand fitted parts. Do a trigger job or replace the fire controls. Ruger wants to sell guns and a $1200 custom Ruger 1911 is hard to sell. The fact Ruger used a cast frame with integral plunger tube is proof they are interested in fast production, not a superior product. It was sold as innovation but in fact it takes a step out of the process that is time consuming. If not correctly done it will cause the gun to be returned for repair as well as be unsafe to carry loaded.

Plus Ruger sells many different guns and will never setup a shop to produce higher end 1911s like SA, Kimber or Colt who's bread and butter is the 1911. Maybe one day, but with their focus on numbers, not quality, I doubt it.

Closest thing to a true target gun they have ever put out is the 10/22 target and when the trigger housings were metal it had a polish bolt and a reduced pull trigger as well as a very nice barrel. Not sure about the new ones as they mention a two stage trigger. I own an older one and the trigger pull is much better than a regular version. Ruger has a Mini-14 target but have never shot or seen one in person.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Given the difference in MSRPs, then if you want an adjustable sights and an ambi safety it is probably worth it.