New Ruger SR1911 Target Model

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I realize this is an old thread, but I was curious about this model when I saw it. While it certainly is not something to jump up and down with joy about, it also doesn't seem to deserve all the derision it seems to have been met with.

Looks to me to be a nice variation on the original SR1911. For about $40 more, you get Bomar style sights, an ambi safety, and G10 grips. Seems like a decent deal.

wmgeorge

Bearcat
pruger45 said:
I installed an adjustable rear sight on mine not long after I bought in in 2012.

What did you put on? I would like to have a Hi Viz on the front also, suggestions?

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I got to handle a new Target Model in a store the other day. Seemed very nice. The salesman said I could dry fire it, and I was pleasantly surprised by the trigger. Best SR1911 trigger I've seen.

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
wmgeorge said:
pruger45 said:
I installed an adjustable rear sight on mine not long after I bought in in 2012.

What did you put on? I would like to have a Hi Viz on the front also, suggestions?

I have a standard SR1911 with fixed rear Novak sight. However, I did change the white dot Novak front sight to a fiber optic. I purchased the fiber optic front sight off of shopRuger.com for this model pistol and had it professionally installed. For my eyesight, this FO front sight is a great improvement over the white dot Novak. It's green in color and very distinctive to the eye. Here's the link:

http://shopruger.com/SR1911-Novak-Fiber-Optic-Front-Sight-Green/productinfo/12976/

The cost of the front sight was about $42 and the cost of installation by the local smith was $35. Money very well spent, for me at least....

Hope this helps.

bayou5252

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I bought one of these yesterday. The store had the standard 5 inch SR1911, and I might have bought it, but the trigger wasn't very good. The target model had a much better trigger. Since the adjustable sights were what I actually wanted, I left with the target model.

So far, I like it a lot. I didn't have a lot of time to shoot it yesterday, but I did shoot a box of American Eagle, and it functioned flawlessly.

Most 1911's sold these days have Novak style sights, with three dot systems, or tritium night sights, or fiber optic sights. There aren't very many choices for shooters who want target sights. I'm glad Ruger added another option for target shooters.